Management reporting and documentation
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Formatting custom reports

Post by michaelryancook »

I am sure this has been asked but my searching has not helped me find this topic. I've used custom reports -- custom infrastructure to create a report gathering VM name, CPU, RAM, total disk space and business view group for specific business view groups. The business view categories/groups are mapped to vsphere tags using group expressions and represent all of our applications and whether they are dev, uat or prod. I have grouped the report by the name. Using this I get a report with all applications that have dependencies on a VM for consumption charge back sorted by environment (dev/uat/prod).

My issue is that since I am grouping by VM name I get multiple lines of CPU, RAM and disk space if that VM is associated with multiple business view groups (example below). Is there anyway that I could get something like my desired example below? As well is there anyway to change the column headers? Or is these reports I would need to build outside of Veeam ONE using SSRS? Currently Veeam ONE is using Veeam ONE Reporting not SSRS.

I know I could massage the output after exporting to Excel but as this will be a quarterly or monthly report I would like to automate as much as possible.

Please view the underscores as spaces and assume the info is columns, etc.

Existing output example:

Name_________Number of CPUs_________Memory: Amount (MB)_________Virtual Disk: Size Total (GB)__________Business View: Group
Server1
__________________________4________________________4096______________________________200___________________App1 Dev
__________________________4________________________4096______________________________200___________________App2 Dev
Server2
__________________________4________________________4096______________________________200___________________App1 Dev
__________________________4________________________4096______________________________200___________________App2 Dev

Desired output example:

Name_________Number of CPUs_________Memory: Amount (MB)_________Virtual Disk: Size Total (GB)__________Business View: Group
Server1
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________App2 Dev
Server2
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________App2 Dev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Formatting custom reports

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael,

Currently, there is no way to avoid duplicates in some grouping cases. You're correct that can be further manipulated after exporting it to Excel. I will log this in our internal tracking system and we will check if there is anything we can do with that.

p.s. SSRS usage will not resolve this problem, since reporting rendering/formatting will be the same in both cases.

Thanks!
michaelryancook
Expert

Thanks for the reply Vitaliy. I thought this might be a limitation but I think I can still accomplish what I want without too much work by creating two reports. One with the specs of the VMs and one with the business groups. Once these are exported to Excel I can combine the info quite quickly with an INDEX formula or something similar.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Michael,
You can also combine reports in Veeam One using Report builder before saving them to excel.
Thanks!
michaelryancook
Expert

Thanks Nikita.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, but keep in mind that Report Builder does not support custom report templates yet. This would be possible in v9 though.