Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Invalid snapshot configuration?

Post by bunger »

Having recently upgraded from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5 and to Veeam 6 Enterprise, I am continuing to work through various issues.

The most recent issue is related to a replica job for a Win2k3 domain controller. Veeam is throwing this error:

Preparing replica VM Error: Detected an invalid snapshot configuration.
Error: Detected an invalid snapshot configuration.

I checked snapshots in the vSphere client and there aren't any and am not sure what the next step is. I did get one good replica and then this error started occurring the next night.

I would call technical support but the wait time is consistently 45+ minutes and I can't seem to create an online ticket - my logs fail to upload. <sigh> one of those days...

Any help would be appreciated.

tia,
Bill
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Invalid snapshot configuration?

Post by Gostev »

I assume you already tried creating snapshot manually with vSphere Client on this replica VM, and it worked?

May be there are hidden snapshots, try using the datastore browser. Hidden snapshot is the only thing I can think of from the error above.

You really need to open a support case since debug logs should give our technical staff a better idea. Just use the portal to open support case without logs, and ask support engineer to provide you with alternative FTP location to upload logs to, they have one.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Post by bunger »

Thanks for the reply, Gostev.

I dug into it myself and for some reason, the most recent snapshot used for the replica job of the server in question had attached itself as extra disks to the virtualized Veeam server. This seemed to have rendered subsequent jobs useless.

I removed the extra disks from the VM, dumped the entire Replica job, recreated, and and it is now running successfully. I am going to monitor it over the next few days, but I appreciate the help!

Bill
daniel.Soares
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: daniel soares

vBR replications failed can not be repaired

Post by daniel.Soares »

[merged]

Hello
I am testing replication with vbr6
I use 1 vbr serveur to create the jobs
1 site A proxy server
1 site B proxy server
I launch all the jobs at the same time and the proxies are configured to launch 2 concurent sessions
there is 25 servers to replicate

some times I have a failure with the error "detected an invalid snapshot configuration "
when I have this error the next job sessions will all turn on error too
and after investigating the only solution I have is to delete the replica from disk whitch is a big issue As I have to relaunch a full replication

I use veeam 6.0.0.164
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

Re: vBR replications failed can not be repaired

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

daniel.Soares wrote:[merged]

Hello
I am testing replication with vbr6
I use 1 vbr serveur to create the jobs
1 site A proxy server
1 site B proxy server
I launch all the jobs at the same time and the proxies are configured to launch 2 concurent sessions
there is 25 servers to replicate

some times I have a failure with the error "detected an invalid snapshot configuration "
when I have this error the next job sessions will all turn on error too
and after investigating the only solution I have is to delete the replica from disk whitch is a big issue As I have to relaunch a full replication

I use veeam 6.0.0.164
I'm getting this error as well with version 8.

Ticket 01018674
informatiqueCH
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: informatiqueCH

Post by informatiqueCH »

Case : 01914817
After few weeks of debug with Veeam support, this solution has working in my case.

PROBLEM
When a replication job is run a lot of time by days (sample every 2 hours) sometime Veeam is not able to replicate and show following error message :
•Processing [SERVER] Error: Détection d’une configuration de snapshot non valide.
•Error: Détection d’une configuration de snapshot non valide.

CAUSE
Veeam is not able to remove correctly the snapshots of VM when “Automatic selection” or “Virtual appliance” is selected in “Transport Mode” option for target proxies only.
To check if you are in this case :
1.Check snapshots list in VMWare and compare it with datastore content.
2.Verify Veeam target proxy configuration.

Check snapshots list :
If number of snapshots are not equal to number of snap vmdk files in datastrore + 1 you should be sure that is the cause of problem.

SOLUTION
1.Change “Transport Mode” option value for TARGET proxies only to “Network”.
2.Delete VM’s in error from “Veeam Replicas” list manually to initiate a new full replication of VM.