Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Hyper-V SureBackup Job

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I have a quick question about SB jobs, I want them to run each day after my backups complete. I will setup 2, one for SQL servers and one for Exchange. When I create the SB job do I use an application group or link the backups? I want to use the most current backup in the SB job to verify that it is good. Also on my status screen of a running SB job the Verification column says "Disabled", is that correct for what I want to do?

Cheers!

Edit: I looked again and I found the checkbox for Verification during the job setup was unchecked. So my only question is using application group or link a backup?
VMCE v9
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Hyper-V SureBackup Job

Post by PTide »

Hi,
When I create the SB job do I use an application group or link the backups?
If you do not care to verify application recoverability, and just want to make sure VM can boot up, then you do not need to worry about some applications possibly not starting because of missing dependencies, and thus you do not need an application group to start and run those dependencies first. Just stuff your SureBackup job with linked backup jobs, and make sure application test scripts are disabled to avoid getting verification error reports.
Also on my status screen of a running SB job the Verification column says "Disabled", is that correct for what I want to do?
No, that's not correct. Please go either to your linked jobs section or app.group options (depending on which method you've chosen) and check your verification options for each VM to be put to the test. There you can specify VMs' roles and scripts for testing.

Thank you.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I do want to test that the applications start so using the application group looks to be what I want. This way I have all my VMs in order of dependency. If I create an application group from the backup and not the infrastructure, will that ensure that I have the latest image each day it runs?

Yes I did find that verification setting!
VMCE v9
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

If I create an application group from the backup and not the infrastructure, will that ensure that I have the latest image each day it runs?
In both cases the latest available backup will be utilized.
Yes I did find that verification setting!
Sorry, does that mean that the problem's been solved or the opposite?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 2 people like this post

Ok, so I will continue to use Application Groups so I can test the applications.

Yes it has been solved, as I found the setting and it was unchecked which disabled it. I checked it and now enabled it, tested and working as I expected.

Thank you for the clarification on the settings, I am all set now.

Cheers!
VMCE v9