Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
marcozaro
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Zaro

Restore VEB backup with VB&R

Post by marcozaro »

Good morning , will it be possible to restore VEB backup file with VB&R 7 or 8 to get in a fast way a VM into our VMWARE cluster , in case my collegue have problem with their notebook and i cannot repair it quickly ?
my idea is to buy a spare cheap laptop or a chrome book for external user (sales people located far away from the central site) and restore backup file as a vm so the user can access via RDP their old pc converted in a VM , or use their private pc to do that....read as a kind of cheap/fast continuum service.....
if it is not possible there is a quick way to convert the veb file to a vmware vm ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: restore VEB backup file with VB&R 7

Post by PTide »

Hi,

This thing might help you to accomplish what you want. However, you'll need VBR v8 update 2.

Thanks.
marcozaro
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Zaro

Post by marcozaro »

Thank's for the link.
if i don't want to modify our veeam backup enviroment for vmware , can i download veeam backup free edition + the update 2b patch and do the same written in that link ?
ds2
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Rene Keller

Post by ds2 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

this way work very well. At this way I converted some physical clients and one server. The only difference is, that I work with hyper-v and vhdx.

Greetings
ds2
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Rene Keller

Post by ds2 »

Additional Info: I use VEB 1.1 and VBR 8 Update 2 for that.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Using full manage mode you can place a VEB backup file into default free VBR local repo and preform a restore, however you'll not be able to use free VBR repo as a target for VEB jobs. Go to Options - View - Full functionality (advanced)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Additional option is to double click the backup file (.vbk) and chose the needed restore method from the dropdown. By the way – don’t forget that installing VEB and VBR within one machine is supported :wink: