Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

compression?

Post by namiko78 »

When you backup to tape, does it uncompress the files as it writes? Wondering why my tape job is so much larger then the VBK. I'm not including incremental.

Thank you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: compression?

Post by veremin »

Nope, it does not. Can you tell me what are the sizes (disk backup, tape backup)? And where you see this difference (backup server GUI, tape library GUI, etc.)? Thanks.
namiko78
Expert

Post by namiko78 »

I've seen this on other large jobs. My source job is 9 TB data size, and 2.2 TB backup size. This is from the disk section of the GUI, right click on job, properties. I expected the tape drive to write 2.2 TB as i've only got it writing fulls. but the job reports the data transferred is 4.0 TB and it's only 84% (running for 59 hrs)

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

How many full backups are present in the said chain? Is it the size of the latest full backup (2.2 TB) or combined size of all fulls? How many restore points does the tape job copy? Is it the only backup job that is selected as a source for the tape job? What product version you're using?
namiko78
Expert

Post by namiko78 »

THere is only the 1 backup in the tape job. It's the 2.2 TB vbk. I'm not sure what you mean by how many restore points does it copy? is this the synthetic copy section? I have all days checked off, as i don't fully understand what this does. Using 8.0 patch 2
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Once job is done, how many .vbks will be on a medium? Is it not possible to deselect all days in virtual full backup schedule, so I'm wondering what did you mean by "is this the synthetic copy section? I have all days checked off". Thanks,
namiko78
Expert

Post by namiko78 »

Just 1 VBK on the medium. it's at 4.2 TB now. Should i open a support ticket?
namiko78
Expert

Post by namiko78 »

Now that i'm looking closer, one of my other jobs that finished a few days ago is twice the size, and when i look at properties "backups / tape " it shows 2 VBK's. I think this must be related to the "full backup schedule" i've got selected in my tape job, i've got it set to weekly, with every day checked off. I forget why i set it to this, maybe because the monthly selection wasn't working properly for me awhile ago. I find this option a little confusing.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

This option relates to virtual full backup. The one that is directly created on tapes and used for jobs (backup or backup copy one) leveraging forward forever incremental mode.

If the source job uses the said mode, indeed, and virtual full backup has taken place in accordance with the specified schedule, then, I'd say that two .vbk that you can currently see on tapes are expected.

Thanks.