Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlainRussell
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alain Russell

VSAN, Hotadd & Physical Repository

Post by AlainRussell »

We're working through a new setup for our COLO, I've searched the forums but not found anything that specifically answers my question. Our new setup will include 4 hosts, VSAN, a new physical Veeam repository and 2x 10Gbe switches.

As I understand it we can only use Hotadd or Network backup for VSAN - to utilise Hotadd and ensure the traffic moves over the 10Gbe storage network would we link the Physical repository to the 10Gbe storage network, or can we do this separately with a backup network (we'll have enough NICs for this if needed). We'll also have 2x 1Gbe connections to the management network (and VCSA) so I assume these will be used if we fall-back to network mode.

We'll be using proxies to do this - do they also need to be connected to the storage network/new backup network directly, or will they automatically use the 10Gbe storage path to move data to the repository?

Thanks
Alain
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VSAN, Hotadd & Physical Repository

Post by foggy »

Alain, you would need Veeam B&R server to be reachable on both management and backup networks anyway, so for the backup traffic between proxies and repository to be routed over the latter, you need to have proxies also on the backup network and configure preferred networks in Veeam B&R.
AlainRussell
Enthusiast

Post by AlainRussell »

Great, thanks - does the proxy need to be on the management network as well, or can it be on the backup network only? If on both - does Veeam work out the "best" network to route traffic over - assuming I'll need to add both network segments (management and dedicated backup) to the preferred networks in the config.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1931 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Backup server and proxies need to connect to vCenter and all the involved ESXi (http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ports.html). The way you design these connections is up to your scenario, there's no difference in using multi-homed machines, or simply having proper routing in place. As long as all the components can talk with each other and DNS server is able to resolve any requested address.
For the preferred networks, it's a configuration that you have to setup manually in the software.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
AlainRussell
Enthusiast

Post by AlainRussell »

Sounds like it will work how I want, will just need to work out the config once the new equipment arrives, thanks!