Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

VEB and Veeam B&R Backup Repositories.. remote backup??

Post by cerberus »

Hello,

We have Veeam B&R at our main office and we have smaller remote offices that are accessible over the WAN and each office has a Windows Server for their local file servers.

If in Veeam B&R I define these Windows file servers in the remote offices as "Backup Repositories", and I install the VEB client on a client computer that's at one of these remote locations and point their VEB backup to Veeam B&R and selecting the remote backup location that's local to them.. how will the traffic flow?

Will it be smart enough to go directly to the backup repository or will the data travel back to Veeam B&R server in our main office, then off to the backup repository which is in the remote office?

I hope this makes sense as it does in my head :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEB and Veeam B&R Backup Repositories.. remote backup??

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
the VEB client on a client computer that's at one of these remote locations and point their VEB backup to Veeam B&R and selecting the remote backup location that's local to them.. how will the traffic flow?
It should go directly to backup repository bypassing the VBR server – just make sure that repository’s gateway server is located in the same site as backup repository (by default windows repository is the gateway server but that does not work for CIFS).