Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
spamkit
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: spamkit

See exact backup contents

Post by spamkit »

Hey everyone,

is here a way I find out what exactly was backed up during the run? Sometimes my backups get unexpected large and therefore I'm curious what files have changed in there. I couldn't get wiser by reviewing the logs. I've also tried to find it out by looking into recovery but I didn't get any closer to solution. Any advice?

TIA
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: See exact backup contents

Post by Dima P. »

Hey spamkit ,

How about running the file level recovery and checking the exact folders and files? Do you have any assumptions why backup size is growing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What type of server/endpoint are you backing up?
spamkit
Novice

Post by spamkit »

Sorry for the late answer.

Dima P.: when I do file level recovery I select the restore point and I'm able to see all volumes, directories and files. The only problem is that I can't differentiate between entries backed up with this backup and previous backups. In other words: I always see the whole file tree. I've an idea what brings my backups to gain weight although I would be happy to have the proof.

Vitalyi S.: I backup my Notebook with Windows 8.1 x64.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It is not possible to get the exact list of what has changed during incremental run, as any scheduled maintenance task (defragmentation), files location change etc. causes data block modifications on the file system. Do you see large incremental files on particular days by any chance?
spamkit
Novice

Post by spamkit » 2 people like this post

Vitaly, thank you! I figured it out: it is caused by my defragmentation software.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for getting back to us! By the way, if we are talking the non-servers editions of Windows defrag should be automatically scheduled by default to run every week. In case it is scheduled that way (or even more frequently) it should not have a serious impact on your incremental restore point size (of course if you are not moving/deleting lots of file from the disk on a daily basis).