Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

safe to install veeam b+r on a vcb proxy?

Post by joergr »

hello,

is it safe to install veeam b+r (latest version) on a physical host running latest vmware vcb drivers? and if yes, is it safe to let veam b+r do san-based-jobs at the same time vcb does? Notice for the last one: My intention is NO jobs vcb+veeam for the SAME vm at the same time ofcourse. Just want to know if it is safe to let´s say backup vm a with vcb and vm b with veeam at the same time (both san based).

best regards,
Joerg
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: safe to install veeam b+r on a vcb proxy?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joerg,

I assume you're going to use vStorage API SAN based backup jobs, correct? I'm not aware of any incompatibilities of using VCB framework and vStorage API at the same time, so yes, it should be safe. But be aware that it may cause a pretty good load to your physical server, which may lead to performance issues.

Thank you!
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Thank you Vitaliy! Yes using vStorage API SAN. The load is not what i am worried about. i am worrying about a specially crafted storage driver (the vmware vcb SYS driver) running simultaneously with the veeam backup driver accessing the same lun at the same time.

So just to be 100% sure you understood what i want: Do you still suggest this will work? (which would be good ;-))

best regards,
Joerg
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Sure, this will work. I always recommended this to customers last year. Because we were the first ever vendor to fully implement vStorage API support, most customers were obviously very cautious about it, and wanted to continue doing VCB backups while evaluating vStorage backups on some less critical VMs in parallel.

Similarly, I always recommend this for evaluators, as it makes everything so easy when you can install our product on existing VCB proxy - which is already fully set up for direct SAN access.
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

great, thank you.
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

just fyi, we decided to buy veeam b+r today. it´s not only the product but also a forum where questions are answered very fast which affirmed our decision.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good to hear that! We're trying to do our best