Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Uglybob
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Tape Job Setup

Post by Uglybob »

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up Veeam in our environment and just figuring out how to configure the tape backups.

VB&R - 2012R2 (VM), Proxy - 2008R2 (Physical, FC), Tape Library - Server 2012R2 (Physical, HP LTO5 SAS)

Backup Job - Backup VM to Exagrid from storage snapshot with full backup on Fridays and incremental M-Th. Run of the mill stuff.

With the tape backup, we are after a backup after the full backup is completed and only the full backup copied to tape.. no incremental. A Veeam tech said not to use the "After this job" option as it tends to be inconsistent when it kicks off. The other option was to use the "As new backup file appear" but I think that will copy the incremental files too?

What do people do for their tape backups?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Bob
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Tape Job Setup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm getting what you are trying to accomplish - do you want only Fulls to be written to tape?
Uglybob
Influencer

Post by Uglybob »

That is correct.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Have you tried to uncheck "process insremental backup files" in a media pool options?
Uglybob
Influencer

Post by Uglybob »

Yes I have.

For the Tap Backup I have...
The media pool is a "Weekly" tape set with a 4 week protection, "do not create media set" option, no encryption.
Schedule for the media pool is set to a Friday
Eject media when done
schedule is set to run after the backup job has run.

The backup job schedule is set to run incremental everyday and active full on the friday.

this should achieve what im after?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

So, if you have unchecked "Process incremental backup files check box" but your backup to tape job is still pulling incrementals to tape then please contact our support team, as such behaviour is unexpected. Please don't forget to post Case ID here.

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure what Media Pool Schedule means, are you talking about this setting? This option applies only to forward forever incremental chains, which is not a case with your backup job.

Anyway, that's what I'd recommend:

- Media Pool Media Set: Create new media set for every backup session
- Media Pool Retention: Protect Data for 4 Weeks
- Backup To Tape Job Media Pool: Uncheck Process incremental backup
- Backup To Tape Job Schedule: Daily at (time when you're sure backup job is finished); on these days - Friday

Should it give what you're looking for.

Thanks.
Uglybob
Influencer

Post by Uglybob »

Hi,

Yes you are right about that setting.. thank you.

Thanks for the info. It seems the backups are detecting the test full backups and pushing them to tape even though only an incremental was run last night. =|

"Media Pool Media Set: Create new media set for every backup session" - Can I please get clarification as to what this is actually does and why you would use it?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What do you mean by test full backups? If there have been full backups created either manually or automatically after the last tape job cycle took place, there is no wonder why tape job decides to copy them now.

The media pool retention is applied to a mediaset. With the original settings, you will have just one endless mediaset, and the data will be written to tapes without retention taking place.

In contrast, with the recommended settings, a media set will be created once a week, will contain only one .vbk file and will be re-written once in 4 weeks. That seems to be the behaviour you're trying to achieve; thus, the recommendation.

Thanks.
Uglybob
Influencer

Post by Uglybob »

ok so even if the full backup was done 2-3 weeks ago and have only done incremental since then.. as soon as you configure a tape backup.. it will detect that full backup and push it to tape? Not just detect if the last backup run was an incremental or full and push it to tape if its a full?

Thanks for the clarification on the media set.. i've changed the settings for that.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

ok so even if the full backup was done 2-3 weeks ago and have only done incremental since then.. as soon as you configure a tape backup.. it will detect that full backup and push it to tape? Not just detect if the last backup run was an incremental or full and push it to tape if its a full?
You should be asked whether the whole chain or just the latest portion of it should be archived. Thanks.