Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
james411
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Formatting existing Veeam repository

Post by james411 »

Hi,
I have a current Windows 2012 Veeam repository that I'd like to reformat because I am thinking of enabling deduplication and did not originally format the volume with the /L switch. This is a relatively fresh installation of Veeam so I don't have that many backups stored right now anyway and don't mind starting over, my question is can I just format the drive and on the next job run will Veeam be smart enough to rebuild everything (full backups, file index catalogs, etc). or is there a more proper way to do this? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Formatting existing Veeam repository

Post by foggy »

You would need to remove corresponding backup data records from database (Remove from Backups command on the shortcut menu) prior to running your jobs.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hope you are talking about formatting just the data partition, otherwise if you format the entire windows 2012 machine you will also have to redeploy Veeam components into it
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
james411
Enthusiast

Post by james411 »

dellock6 wrote:Hope you are talking about formatting just the data partition, otherwise if you format the entire windows 2012 machine you will also have to redeploy Veeam components into it
Correct, just the data partition.
james411
Enthusiast

Post by james411 »

foggy wrote:You would need to remove corresponding backup data records from database (Remove from Backups command on the shortcut menu) prior to running your jobs.
Ah, so under the Backups > Disk > just right click and choose Remove from Backups for each job before running again?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct.