Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Protecting SQL VMs

Post by gingerdazza »

Obviously, as some services like SQL become increasingly first class citizens with the infrastructure with higher I/O burdens, am I right to assume that generally everyone moves away from using Veeam? I say this because normally with a high importance and high I/O SQL platform you probably have tighter RPOs. If you do have tighter RPOs (perhaps 60 minutes), utilising Veeam replication means hourly stun, which is often an unacceptable side affect to be experiencing so often.

We want to remain a SQL Standard house if possible, we want OS maintenance capabilities and we don't want any re-pointing of apps should we have a site DR event (I know - a lot of want!!). I wonder how many of you also have higher end virtual SQL platforms and how you get the balance right?

I see that Zerto might be a nicer fit alongside a Windows MSCS cluster, but be interested to see what else you guys are doing.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Protecting SQL VMs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dazza,
gingerdazza wrote:am I right to assume that generally everyone moves away from using Veeam?
I would say that most of the people move from using backup jobs on hourly basis to using SQL backup jobs, which have a separate RPO configuration.

Thanks!
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Post by gingerdazza »

Hi Vitaliy

thanks for this information, but this continuous logs backup also uses hypervisor snapshots too doesn't it? This is the part that doesn't make sense to me, because it means you have a regular stun on the SQL server, no? Wouldn't people be better doing nightly VM backups alongside native SQL log shipping to avoid stun?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

gingerdazza wrote:but this continuous logs backup also uses hypervisor snapshots too doesn't it?
No, it doesn't. During sql backup job run VM snapshot is not taken, it is similar like doing logs backup via native tools, but on top of that we also provide SQL Explorer restore capabilities.
DeaconZ
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by DeaconZ »

Very good info Vitaliy! Thank you. We are facing similar RPO/RTO requirements for our SQL databases. We also are implementing SQL 2014 Always On Availability Groups with 3 nodes each. 2 in the prod DC, 1 in the DR DC. Any tips on backing up Always On groups?

I did read this: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... pport.html
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is an existing topic about Always On groups backup as well, please check it out > Backing up Always On MSSQL with Veeam