Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rudybrewster
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup and DataDomain

Post by rudybrewster »

Hi

I'm just having a play with this software, to see how and if it'll fit into our environment - and I've seen you can add the VirtualCenter, ESX server and a Linux server to it, which is fine, but what I want to do is run the backups from our SAN (the VMs all live on the SAN) and go straight to our DataDomain - but I can't seem to add this in as a backup destination?

Am I looking at this in the wrong way? I thought you'd just create an NFS share on the DD, then run through the backup Wizard in Veeam, which would take the backup files, and then copy them straight to DD, but I can't work out how to do it.

I had a search but couldn't see exactly what I was after, so if anyone can help or post a link I would be grateful.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Backup and DataDomain

Post by Gostev »

Moved to correct forum.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi, actually DataDomain has integration guide available for download from customers' portal.

Essentially you have 2 options:
1. Create CIFS share on DD and use it as backup destination (type \\dd\share in the Veeam backup job destination path).
2. Mount NFS share to a Linux or ESX server, add that server to Veeam Backup console, and pick it as backup destination.

Thanks!
rudybrewster
Novice

Post by rudybrewster »

That's brilliant, thanks a lot.
rudybrewster
Novice

Post by rudybrewster »

So, I have created an NFS export from DD, pointed it to my ESX server, in the ESX server I have created a datastore called backups, all fine. When I run the Veeam wizard it only lets me select the ESX server and its local files for Backup Destination, not the datastores, so I can't seem to point it to the backups datastore. Any ideas?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Just browse to /vmfs folder under ESX, you will see your datastores there.
rudybrewster
Novice

Post by rudybrewster »

Thanks for all your help - I've managed to get this working on the network backup but not the Virtual applicance (the software is on a VM, backing up another VM)

Client error: The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [hotadd]. VMDK path: [[datastore1] pctest/pctest.vmdk].

I've seen on these forums someone had a similar issue when using IDE disks, but these are SCSI.

Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This issue is unrelated to using Veeam Backup with DataDomain as target. For all technical issues I would recommend to open a support ticket wih our support team, so you could get quicker assistance. We should be able to see from the logs what is causing hotadd transport mode not being available. But there are a number of reasons besides IDE disks (vStorage API is quite peeky in hot add processing mode). Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I've split the hotadd issue discussion into the following topic:
HotAdd Error: The specified transports are not available.