Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

KB3067505 and RPC errors

Post by emachabert »

Hi,

Just a quick feedback about this Microsoft update.

We've been having a lot of incoming requests from our customers since this summer because they were getting errors during their backups. different kind of RPC issues on the Veeam backup server and the proxies.

The Veeam support has been involved but their solution was either to disable parallel processing or add more proxies. Since everything was working fine before, we quickly thought about a windows update issue and that was it.
It appear that the Kb3067505 is causing all these troubles. After uninstalling it, all the backups are fine again. We asked our customer to report this to Veeam support.

Hope this helps
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: KB3067505 and RPC errors

Post by tsightler »

I too have been tangentially engaged with a client that is experience this exact behavior, although in their case it seems to go away if they disable storage integration for backup from snapshots (in this case 3PAR). I know they are working a support case right now so thanks for sharing this info as it's always good to know the scale.

I am a little curious why it's not more widely seen though, perhaps that Microsoft updated is only just getting widely deployed? Or perhaps there is a more narrow group of users that this is impacting. I had read in one other place that this KB has already been superseded by another, but it seems almost impossible to find that information from Microsoft unless I just don't know where to look, which is easily possible.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Re: KB3067505 and RPC errors

Post by emachabert »

Many of my customers having the problem are also using storage integration with 3par.
It is like you are hitting a maximum concurrent actions at a time. If you reduce the number of concurrent tasks or if you disable the parallel processing then the RPC errors disapear.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023