Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cwhitmore
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlton Whitmore

Using Endpoint as Image/Volume backup in AWS?

Post by cwhitmore »

I'm looking for a way to do a monthly archive of my existing AWS instances back to my on-prem Hyper-V environment. Has anyone tried using this product to backup an AWS instance volume to a VHD to an on-prem Veeam backup repository?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Using Endpoint as Image/Volume backup in AWS?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Carlton,

This is possible if your environment is extended to your on-prem environment. In that case it is just like everything runs on-prem. However, the backup will be a "physical backup" so when you want to restore you will have 2 options:

1. Convert the backup to VHD through B&R recovery, but know you need to test this first because there could be issues with the drivers injected in the AWS VM.
2. Make recovery media, and do the restore to an empty VM (this is a bit of a longer method but my preferred one...)

Let me know if you need to know more

Thanks

Mike
cwhitmore
Enthusiast

Post by cwhitmore »

Thanks for the information Mike. Let's say that I am backing up to my existing on-prem Veeam B&R repository using Endpoint backup.
After the initial monthly backup I'm assuming that the backups that come after will only include the changes and not backup the entire 400GB volume again?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I'm assuming that the backups that come after will only include the changes and not backup the entire 400GB volume again?
It depends. Keep in mind that repo's backup files do change and may affect incremental backup size. For instance, incremental file can be merged into full and rebuild it - when (and if) it happens consider your endpoint’s increment growing big.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Carlton,

If you meant: I don't need to download the entire 400 GB volume again from AWS... Then yes, only incremental

What Dima meant is: things that can happen on the B&R Repository. And there you need to take into account that it can require an incremental merged into a full, but that happens on the repo side so no worries about the download :-)
cwhitmore
Enthusiast

Post by cwhitmore »

My concern is that bandwidth will get eaten up during the backup to on-prem. If I run the backup to local storage (in AWS EC2), and run a copy script that copies the incremental (assuming I already have the full backup file on-prem), is there a way to merge the incremental and full backup files to create a VHD?
cwhitmore
Enthusiast

Post by cwhitmore »

Just tested backing up from EC2 instance directly to on-prem repository. It ran quite well and I was able to restore to VHD directly from B&R on-prem.
I think this might work well for us.

One thing I need to workaround is the backup schedule. It looks like Endpoint only allows for daily backups? Is there a way to script the backup to run once a week?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Carlon,

Not at this moment, but never say never... However, what you can do is schedule it daily, and then use the "Back up no more often than xx hours" combination. If you calculate the hours for a week, then it won't start the backup daily, but on a weekly basis. I know it is a bit of a workaround, but it does work :-)