Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

do dual Ethernet NICs improve backup/restore times?

Post by guitarfish »

Can dual Ethernet NICs be used to improve backup/restore times? I would need dual Ethernet on both the repository system as well as the Guest VM, right?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: do dual Ethernet NICs improve backup/restore times?

Post by Gostev »

NIC teaming can improve backup performance on 1Gb ethernet if your source and target storage are so fast that 1Gb Ethernet becomes a bottleneck.

You do need NICs on repository, but definitely don't need them in guest, as we do backup from the host.

Where else you need them depends on your production storage. If you have iSCSI SAN for your ESXi storage, then you just connect both proxy NICs with teaming enabled into the SAN farbic, and you are done. If your ESXi local storage, then the only processing mode available with physical backup proxy is Network (NBD), meaning you need dual NICs in both ESXi hosts (for management interface). I am not so sure if ESXi supports NIC teaming on the management interface though, may be someone else can comment on that.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Gostev wrote:I am not so sure if ESXi supports NIC teaming on the management interface though, may be someone else can comment on that.
No it doesn't, as the management interface as the name implies was mainly designed for management. Multiple nics can be used for management but they only act as failover. Round robin on networks (iscsi or FC) can only be enabled for storage connections on ESXi.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
dacky7
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Dack

[MERGED] Veeam V8 Nic Teaming

Post by dacky7 »

Hi,

Can you team NIC`s without issue in Veeam V8, although i`m not seeing a bottleneck as such on my backup host i`d like to ensure the host can run as quick as possible.

Cheers,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Peter, yes, you can use NIC teaming (you can also search for other existing threads on this), however whether it actually helps depends on the bottleneck stats your jobs currently report.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk »

dellock6 wrote: No it doesn't, as the management interface as the name implies was mainly designed for management. Multiple nics can be used for management but they only act as failover. Round robin on networks (iscsi or FC) can only be enabled for storage connections on ESXi.
You can team the management nics on ESXI, choose to load balance by IP Hash. This wont give you double the speed for NBD, but you could for example have proxy A talking down one nic and proxy B talking down another via the IP Hash load balancing, theoretically making your overall NBD backups complete quicker.
szwicker
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Seth Zwicker

Post by szwicker »

Which is better in the case where the SAN, itself, has multiple interfaces in different VLANs?

A. Connect 1 nic to 1 VLAN and the 2nd nic to the 2nd vlan
B. Team them with 1 IP

I supposed this would be the server acting as a proxy.