Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kdb4
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kent Barker

How do i select the target drive when doing a restore

Post by kdb4 »

I am running the Current version is 1.1.1.212, I have a backup image of a 512gb drive running windows 7, it is about two weeks old, it is on a 4tb external usb drive. Since then I upgraded the drive from 512gb to 750gb and upgraded the os to windows 10. I want to restore the old backup image to the old drive. I have the old backup mounted in and external 4tb usb drive. I have the old 512gb drive in a usb docking station, formatted as a single volume and mounted under windows 10. I start veeam endpoint backup, browse and select the old backup image under 'local storage' on the 'backup location' step on the top left side menu of veeam endpoint recovery menu, select next at the bottom right of the screen, then I select the incremental chain file I want to start with under 'Restore Point' step on the left menu, select next, then veeam says it is 'attempting to match disks automatically'. It shows my 512gb drive image so I select the check box. It says 'system volumes cannot be restored to the original location on a live system, do you want to restore to a different disk?', that is correct, I select 'yes'. Then it shows me a new window 'disk mapping' and the only available drive shown is my 750gb disk 0, which is of course in use. It doesn't show me the usb docking station mounted 512gb drive that I want to restore to. And I am stuck here. I am aware that once it is restored, there will be a drive id conflict in this situation, so I will only be able to mount one drive or the other on this pc, and that is fine, I will replace the 750gb and mount only the 512gb drive for a while and look at some files. Then I will take the 512gb out and put the win 10 750gb drive back in.

Does anyone know how I can select by 512gb drive to do the restore?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: How do i select the target drive when doing a restore

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Kent,

I am a bit confused... Are you performing a volume restore with or without the recovery media?
Second, if you just want to look at some files, you can also chose the "restore files" option and use our file browser to look at those files (and there is this nice option to look at it in windows explorer...)

Let me know

Thanks

Mike
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

If I read this correctly you are trying to restore an image to a USB drive. VEB does not support restoring to a USB drive. To piggyback on what Mike said, if you want specific files you can just use the File Level Restore utility in VEB and select the image you want to copy files from.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

True - EP does not recognize any USB media as a restore destination. If that’s a regular SSD drive better connect it via SATA to the motherboard – then you will succeed restoring the backed up volume. Or as guys advised before – use file level recovery to restore only the needed files.