Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Naim
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Naim Mucaj

Warm Standby VBR Server

Post by Naim »

Hi, I'm new to Veeam and wanted to ask a question regarding having the Veeam B&R Server being HA (Highly Available).

I believe it cannot be part of a cluster, nor of a remote cluster, though I was wondering if the below would somewhat be suitable for requirements of a "Highly Available" VBR Server.

Could you have a VBR Server installed elsewhere performing no activities and have the Prod VBR configuration backed up regulary to it? Something like below:

Prod_VBR ---- replicating the configuration to -------> Standby_VBR Server

In case of Prod VBR crashing, you could then import the backup config and hopefully have it running within 30 minutes.

Does this sound somewhat reasonable? If so, my only question after that would be around licensing, with Veeam licensing being around the ESX hosts being backed up, would separate licenses be needed for the standby VBR host if it were to take over the main VBR Prod role?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Warm Standby VBR Server

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Naim, please review Veeam B&R built-in configuration backup functionality, looks like what you're looking for.

Yes, you can assign the same license file to the server taking over the Veeam B&R role.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Another approach would be to keep your Veeam backup database on the remote SQL Server (for example, Always On). In case of the DR situation, you can always point a new installation of the VBR server to that database and you will be again up and running in less then 10-15 minutes.
Naim
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Naim Mucaj

Post by Naim »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Another approach would be to keep your Veeam backup database on the remote SQL Server (for example, Always On). In case of the DR situation, you can always point a new installation of the VBR server to that database and you will be again up and running in less then 10-15 minutes.
i actually like that idea as well. i wonder if placing the Database on a remote server could cause any potential performance issues?...seeing it would be in same data centre, probably not.

thanks guys.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd also pay attention on the overall SQL server load in this case.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, remote SQL Server deployment does not bring any performance issues, but rather gives you more capabilities in terms of protection of your backup server ;)