Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
haslund
VeeaMVP
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Backup DIRECT to Cloud Connect - Cloud Repository

Post by haslund » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I see a huge market for the service providers offering Cloud Connect currently, if it was possible to backup Desktops/Laptops using Endpoint Backup and send the backup directly to a Cloud Repository backed by Cloud Connect.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup DIRECT to Cloud Connect - Cloud Repository

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Rasmus,

In the GA version of Veeam Endpoint backup you will be able to send backups to Veeam B&R repository and then even configure backup copy jobs later on ;)

Thanks!
enoch
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Peter Enoch

Post by enoch »

+1 for this feature :D

Repository is to Veeam Repository and including to Cloud Connect?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Cannot comment on this yet (Dmitry will be able to provide more info on this), but if you're able to put backup files to Veeam repository, you can then use backup copy jobs to transfer machine images to the CC repository.
enoch
Service Provider

Post by enoch »

Looking forward for comment..

Veeam Endpoint Protection backup directly to Veeam Cloud Connect Partner would be great for SMB customers without existing Veeam infrastructure! (where Backup Copy to CC isn't possible)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys,
including to Cloud Connect?
Not in the first version. As Vitaliy said: you can backup to local Veeam B&R repository, then sent Endpoint backups offsite or to cloud repository with the backup copy jobs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Having a local backup is a good idea to enable fast backups and recoveries, and to meet "3" part of the 3-2-1 rule. That said, I am not completely opposed the idea of going direct to CC target and relying on the service provider to meet the "3" part instead, while fast backup and restore might not be that important for some. It is just that for our existing customer base, it makes perfect sense to go to B&R repository first for local backup, then Backup Copy to cloud. This is why we focus on this use case first for v1.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

Backup copy to cloud = the possibility to add a repository through a service provider or a backup copy job to a remote repository?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Currently it is a backup copy job targeted to a remote repository, including one from Cloud Connect service provider.
haslund
VeeaMVP

Post by haslund »

Is there any component planned to help make connection from road-warrior laptops to central Backup Repository?
Something like a "Backup Repository Proxy" that could be exposed to internet that the Endpoint Backup could then connect to? or will it be required to first establish some sort of VPN etc. when not on LAN with Backup Repository?
enoch
Service Provider

Post by enoch »

My point exactly!

Backup from Endpoint Protection to Veeam Repository is pretty useless if clients does not have access to the Veeam Repository internally (VLAN etc.) or more important externally.

So either if Backup to Veeam Cloud Connect Repository or some kind of "Backup Repository Proxy" could be a solution.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

With the right setup in your infrastructure, a Repository in the right VLAN should not be a problem with our solutions. But we do understand of course that there are others who don't have access to a B&R server (not yet :-D)

But on topic, v1 will not have the features you want, but it is v1, and our main concern is now to have a solid backup solution, and more importantly, a solid restore solution. What the future will bring in functionality is not sure yet, but do know we are listening ;-)

Cheers

Mike
enoch
Service Provider

Post by enoch »

I fully understand that it will not be in v1... BUT v1.1 maybe :)
reneclaassen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rene Claassen

Post by reneclaassen »

+1 for this feature. It's quite difficult to setup this to a local B&R repository at the company site for a large ammount of mobile employees (bandwith and VPN gateways will be a bottleneck)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

By the way...

Does this mean that all of you are willing to pay a monthly fee to a service provider to store your endpoint backups at their infrastructure? Or do you prefer to install something yourselves in Azure / Amazon and manage it yourself and also pay some IaaS costs to those public clouds?

Thanks for letting us know

Mike
haslund
VeeaMVP

Post by haslund »

I would prefer these two options:

#1 Ability to deploy a Endpoint Proxy / Endpoint Gateway Server connected to the internet, so laptops on the road can send endpoint backups directly back to the company.

or

#2 Ability to send Endpoint Backups directly to a service provider backed Cloud Repository (paying most likely a monthly fee + storage used).
futureweb
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by futureweb »

It's an older thread, but still my opinion: I think as service provider it would be interesting if it could be backed up directly into the cloud with Endpoint, bypassing the B&R. We have lot's of small companies that won't invest in B&R and needed Hardware, but would invest in a monthly fee for Cloud Backup, however Endpoint for Cloud would be licenced, because I understand it's a free product thus it's a great addition to B&R and all it's features and going directly to the cloud, but just the need of a Azure VM and you could offer it to smaller clients would be great thing.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Just for your information,

Today we will announce the GA for the plugin with LabTech. (The blogpost announcement should be online today...) which is a first way of working with service providers (in this case MSP's). We look into further expanding ideas with service providers but no fixed plans as of know so keep those ideas coming. :-)

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you've touched this topic... if you send backup to the cloud directly, then restore process should also be possible within the cloud, right? How would users access their data, if they need to do FLR or even bare metal recovery? Any feedback on how you would like to see it?
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

+1 for this feature :)

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
jason.smith079
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Smith

Post by jason.smith079 »

+1 for Endpoint straight to Cloud Connect (we're a Cloud Connect partner as well as an MSP)

Will there be a Kaseya plugin for Endpoint comparable to the Labtech plugin?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

By the way, I was meaning to ask... do you all mean literally direct to Cloud Connect, or there should be at least most recent restore points (or a few) still available locally for fast recovery?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Will there be a Kaseya plugin for Endpoint comparable to the Labtech plugin?
It depends on received requests. However, I am aware that there is some kind of monitoring tool available - check this thread.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jason.smith079 wrote:Will there be a Kaseya plugin for Endpoint comparable to the Labtech plugin?
Not in this year, since as far as know Kaseya is planning to release a new version of their VSA in the 1st half of next year and this version will have completely new APIs. We are waiting for an early access to these bits in order to estimate the resources required to match our LabTech offering.

Yes, Dima has shared a good link that might be used to monitor Endpoint backup jobs. I had a call with Craig regarding this, and provided him with all info that can be used for monitoring&reporting capabilities of VEB.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Funny this topic has been re-started these days, the same as AWS is suffering another huge failure into their old US-EAST region. Not going to bash anyone, AWS just like Azure and other large service providers has the best IT guys in the world just for the fact of being able to run infrastructures of that size, but it's just to remember that "the cloud" is just "someone else's computer" and as such it can fail.
I'm not sure I want my only copy of my data sitting in the cloud...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jason.smith079
Service Provider

Post by jason.smith079 »

Gostev wrote:By the way, I was meaning to ask... do you all mean literally direct to Cloud Connect, or there should be at least most recent restore points (or a few) still available locally for fast recovery?
I think it could go either way. Currently, we send Endpoint to a B&R repository onsite, then we can replicate any of that data over to Cloud Connect for offsite if they want it replicated. That works, no problem.

The challenge is with users that never check-in with corporate office (B&R local network), and are dispersed across the country. Being able to send laptop backups in those situations straight in via Cloud Connect would be beneficial. Yes it comes with some functional caveats (longer restore times, only copy of the workstation is "in the cloud", etc), but overall this option would work very well for our customer base when they are geographically dispersed.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jason,

I think what Gostev wanted to know is if you want some of the backups locally (maybe on a usb device or a different volume on the hdd) for fast recovery of those laptops that are dispersed and also a copy via cloud connect

If it is not what Gostev meant, then I want to know :-)
nickfurnell
Veeam Software
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Nick Furnell

Post by nickfurnell »

I'd love this feature too.

When I first read the enhancements to v1.1 I expected a direct CC option - in fact during the install, the 3rd option was worded to make me think that it was possible. I even tapped up a good friend of mine to let me test my VEB install against his CC installation. Working for an ISP who offers similar Backup services (and using Veeam internally) it makes sense to standardise on one platform. We don't manage remote sites, so the LabTech piece is interesting but doesn't apply.

Maybe following v9 of VBR we may see some CC changes, along side a v2 for VEB - finger crossed.

With regards to local or remote backup, both would be great, defined at the Endpoint. I was a great fan of (wait for it) Symantec DLO, which did exactly this. Local copies were kept when 'off net' and synchronised to a central store when LAN/WiFi was available. Yes I would pay for this service, as would my customers.
Nick Furnell
Cloud SE UK&I
jason.smith079
Service Provider

Post by jason.smith079 »

Mike Resseler wrote:Jason,

I think what Gostev wanted to know is if you want some of the backups locally (maybe on a usb device or a different volume on the hdd) for fast recovery of those laptops that are dispersed and also a copy via cloud connect

If it is not what Gostev meant, then I want to know :-)
Hey Mike & Gostev,

I think that would be a nice option and definitely more ideal. I don't think the users that I"m thinking of will like it, though.

As a service provider, going straight into cloud connect gives us an option for workstations that can leave the user out of the equation. A lot of users don't want to deal with the USB, or they'll drop it in the toilet, or leave it at Starbucks, etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of dispersed workforce / road warriors types of people. Without fail, those users rarely VPN in (especially with mobile file sharing / email systems nowadays), their "offline files" will never get sync'd back to CorpNet, and if they aren't using VPN then they'll have no network connection to the B&R Respository. However, even with all of those great offline / file sync'ing features, we all know that the user has some special C:\NeverBackedUp\UBERIMPORTANT folder that nobody knows about until it's too late.

If we could just "let it fly" by having Veeam Endpoint send straight up to Cloud Connect for those users, it would be great for those situations.
futureweb
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by futureweb » 1 person likes this post

I second that and have in mind small customers. We do have customers, that own 1-3 PC's, and if you ask them, do you have backups, usually you get, yes, some stuff is copied over to any HDD.
You might convince them doing backups to USB, but if they forget they figure it out, once it's too late, aswell as if you offer them Veeam Endpoint, you don't have really any upselling possibility, because
they won't go to B&R. Often Emails are lost with questions we get: do you have a copy of it. If they just save copies offline, like with POP3, well, they are lost. So I am talking about such small cases.
Sure, there are already lot's of solutions out there, I think even Microsoft offers something with Azure, but that popped into my mind when seeing Veeam Endpoint, but have to admit, we are "very" fresh with Veeam ;)
Or some kind of reminder - Plug in your USB.... that might help too... and you don't need the cloud.