Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

advise on storage for 1st backup copy

Post by rasmusan »

Hello

I am looking at backup storage for a new Veeam solution, and need a little advise/comments on what to choose.

Environment is VMware vSphere 6.0, around 80 VMs and 10TB...

Backup server is HP Proliant DL380p Gen8, which is FC connected directly to the primary FC storage array, where VMs are running off.

I want to make 2 backup copies:
- first copy on block SAS storage, keeping short retention and for purpose of faster restore, restore testing, instant VM recovery etc.
- second copy (backup copy job) on EMC DataDomain deduplication storage, for purpose of longer term retention.

I am a little unsure on what to choose, as for storage for the first copy - either direct attached SAS storage (HP D3600 - 12x 4TB 7.2k) or the HP MSA1040 FC storage array (also 12x 4TB 7.2k)... Price is about the same (actually MSA 1040 a bit cheaper), and this is only to be used as backup storage. At this time I am thinking the MSA 1040 due to flexibility in FC...

what are your thought on this ?

any help is greatly appreciated :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: advise on storage for 1st backup copy

Post by foggy »

Rasmus, both should work fine for you in terms of Veeam B&R repository, so decide based on price/feature set. Probably some of the customers with experience in using either one will comment. Here's a good further reading.