Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Patschi
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrik Kernstock

Always-On-Group Support for MSSQL for "SQL DB Exclusions"

Post by Patschi » 1 person likes this post

Basically Veeam works very well when backuping up MSSQL 2014 nodes, but when you're having the vCenter database also running on the same AOG, I ran into the problem that Veeam wasn't able to backup the machines because of the VSS error “VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout”:

Ofcourse the database was added to the "SQL Databases Exclusions"-list, but this did change nothing - it just keeps failing and failing: (Veeam detected the DB data itself fully automatically)

After investigating the problem further, I finally found out (more detailed in german language on my site http://pkern.at/veeam-vsscontrol-failed ... it-timeout), that Veeam seems not to be able to understand, that there is a AOG behind the DNS name in the exclusions list. So when I manually add the nodes behind that Always-On-Group manually to the list, like that:

After that the backups works fine again! :)

I don't know if this is just an issue on my side, an already known issue, or any sort of a bug, but I wanted to share it in the Veeam forum anyway. Maybe someone runs also into a similiar issue someday...

Best regards,
Patrik Kernstock
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Always-On-Group Support for MSSQL for "SQL DB Exclusions

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Patrik, thanks for paying our attention to this. You've applied a valid workaround, however databases detection/exclusion mechanism should be improved to address this scenario, so this will be tracked as a requirement for future versions. Thanks.
Patschi
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrik Kernstock

Post by Patschi »

My pleasure! I just realized it after creating the topic: Maybe this thread would better fit in the sub-forum for VMware vSphere, because this issue is just related to the VMware vCenter anyway.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

No problem, I've moved the thread. Thanks again for the heads up.