Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Repo Permissions

Post by lobo519 »

I am setting up Endpoint back for a few laptop users to backup to a V&R repo. My question is should I create separate repos for each user and apply permissions to each? If I just use one repo I am concerned that everyone would have access to each others backups.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Repo Permissions

Post by Gostev »

Actually, no - even with a single repository, each user will only be able to access its own backups. Each endpoint backup has ownership information in its metadata that is tied to account used to connect to B&R from VEB.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

perfect!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

P.S. Don’t forget that VBR admin account (and restore operator) can see all the backups in the repository – that might be useful when performing a Bare Metal Recovery.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

So i have another problem - When the user changes their password, the backup breaks without notification.

Why can't the app just use the current user permissions?? I either have to set the user on the service or in the repo wizard. Both of which break on a password reset.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

There are two options, actually. First described in the Help Center - Specify Backup Server Settings page:
If you do not select the Specify your personal credentials check box, Veeam Endpoint Backup will connect to the backup repository using the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account of the computer where the product is installed. You can use this scenario if the Veeam Endpoint computer is joined to the Active Directory domain. In this case, you can simply add the computer account (DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$) to an AD group and grant access rights on the backup repository to this group.
You can use Endpoint’s machine local computer account to authenticate to VBR repository but don’t forget to set up permissions same way in the repository level (add computer account to the permission list)

Another option is to have a separate service account for every endpoint machine – it’s more likely used for file share destinations, but you can keep this option in mind as well.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

ahhhhhh - i missed that! Thanks!!!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »