Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mysticalice
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mysticalice

How do I move backup to different device??

Post by mysticalice »

Hi,

Got VEEAM running on two servers at two sites - connected with high speed (1Gb) link.
Site 2 VEEAM has 3x local drives attached to it - Backup1, Backup2, Backup3. Site 1 VEEAM has all three set up as backup repository.
Currently have ~8TB from one backup job at site 1 pointing to Backup3 at site 2. I'd like to move the files from Backup3 to Backup2, and somehow point the job (that's running on VEEAM at Site 1) to the new Backup2 location, rather than having to recreate the job and do the initial 8TB seed all over again. is that possible?

Also - just another off-topic question. When I add a backup repository on site1 VEEAM, I would have thought it would show up on site 2 veeam. For instance - I go create it at site 2, call it 'backup 4', and point it to the H:/ drive. It shows up on site 2, but then I have to go to site 1 and create the same thing - go through the same steps except pick the repository server at site 2. is that normal?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: How do I move backup to different device??

Post by PTide »

Got VEEAM running on two servers at two sites - connected with high speed (1Gb) link.
Site 2 VEEAM has 3x local drives attached to it - Backup1, Backup2, Backup3. Site 1 VEEAM has all three set up as backup repository.
Currently have ~8TB from one backup job at site 1 pointing to Backup3 at site 2. I'd like to move the files from Backup3 to Backup2, and somehow point the job (that's running on VEEAM at Site 1) to the new Backup2 location, rather than having to recreate the job and do the initial 8TB seed all over again. is that possible?
You can just move the whole backup chain to Backup2, import it on your Backup2 repo and map your Site1_Job to that backup.
Also - just another off-topic question. When I add a backup repository on site1 VEEAM, I would have thought it would show up on site 2 veeam. For instance - I go create it at site 2, call it 'backup 4', and point it to the H:/ drive. It shows up on site 2, but then I have to go to site 1 and create the same thing - go through the same steps except pick the repository server at site 2. is that normal?
That's 100% normal since both of your Veeam servers have separate databases, thus "site1 Veeam knows Backup1_repo" does not imply "site2 Veeam knows Backup1_repo".

May I ask you - why do you have two Veeam servers?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally,
1) The procedure itself is described here
2) On a backup server 1 you can add 'backup 4' as a repository and rescan it. The backup data stored there will be imported to the backup server.

Thanks.
mysticalice
Influencer

Post by mysticalice »

Thanks for the responses. Will try it later today.

Two veeam servers - one at the production site and one at the secondary site. Was always under the impression that was best practice.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Could you please provide more details on your infrastructure?

- Do you have any repositories at Site 1?
- Site 2 and Site 1 - which one is your DR ?
- What jobs do you have on your DR VBR server?

Thank you.
mysticalice
Influencer

Post by mysticalice »

v.Eremin wrote:1)In Veeam B&R User-interface create a new repository on a new volume.
2)In your OS manually copy/paste previous backups from former repository to the new one.
3)In Veeam B&R User-interface right-click on the new repository and choose “Rescan” option.
4)After having done that, go to the properties of the job you want to move, particularly to the “Storage” settings.
5)Change Backup repository to the new one.
6)Click “Map backup” option, open your new repository by clicking “+”, and choose job you’ve already moved (Note, please, that the name of the job, files of which you’re trying to move to a new location, should be revealed. Otherwise, try to rescan new repository again or redo previous actions).
v.Eremin was correct - this procedure resolved it.

This is also described in the following VEEAM KB article: http://www.veeam.com/kb1729

Thanks for the help!