Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mr2nut123
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

VEB to tape

Post by mr2nut123 »

I hope I'm ok to ask this here. We have a client who is currently using Backup Exec (booo, hiss..) and the only reason for this is that they have one remaining physical Server which is a large file store.

My main question here: Does Endpoint Backup allow you to backup to an LTO device? The client won't purchase additional Hardware, but I was hoping to sway them to Veeam when their renewal comes up! :)
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Re: Enquiry

Post by mr2nut123 »

Ok, so having just had a quick look, it appears that it doesn't support LTO devices. Any way around this..?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello mr2nut123,

No, it does not support backup to tapes. However, VBR free edition has a file to tape jobs available (at no cost), so you can use VEB to back up a physical box and then backup to tape via VBR Free.

P.S. Moreover you can install both on the same machine if needed.
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Dima P. wrote:Hello mr2nut123,

No, it does not support backup to tapes. However, VBR free edition has a file to tape jobs available (at no cost), so you can use VEB to back up a physical box and then backup to tape via VBR Free.

P.S. Moreover you can install both on the same machine if needed.
Perfect answer Dima. Thanks a lot for that! The only downside is that physical host doesn't have the capacity to store a full backup the storage Server before putting it on a tape. It relies on network data transfer to copy direct to the LTO :-(
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEB to tape

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hmm, maybe backing up to the file share via Endpoint and then using file to tape jobs with shared folder as a source.