Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

Tape job duration has exceed the configured backup window

Post by sirhideo »

Hi,

In order to make 2 identical sets of back up tape for redundancy purpose I have 2 backup to tape jobs where each job is associated to 1 media pool, let's say TapeAjob uses tape in media set TapeSetA and TapeBjob uses tape in TapeSetB pool.

These backup to tape jobs have been scheduled to run "As new backup files appear". These jobs are the secondary job of a Forward Incremental Backup Job so when a vbk or vib appear in repo then both tape jobs start to run.

The Forward Incremental backup job is run at every day 20:00. It usually ends just in couple minutes since most of the time the job produces vib.

Problems here, I am receiving Veeam One alert everyday as title. When I read the report of both forward increment and the tape jobs, the report detail is shown below:

Code: Select all

Forward Incremental Job: 
Start time: 08:00:05PM
End time: 08:02:23PM
Duration: 0:02:17
Backup size: 146.3MB
(skipped other non-related detail)
This looks cool.

TapeAJob and TapeBJob (Pretty much the same status): 
Start time: [b]08:06:54PM[/b]
End time: [b]8:06:11 PM (+1)[/b]  <--- faster then start time? What is that +1?
Duration: [b]23:59:17[/b] <--- and then 24 hours?
Total size: 146.3MB
Data read: 146.3MB
Transferred: 146.3MB
Ok so the time of Veeam B&R report is totally different from what the console is telling me. What I am guessing is since the forward incremental is a daily job, when there is nothing to do from the tape jobs, both jobs idle for almost 24hours. Does this long idle time count as duration as well in the report?. Also According to Veeam B&R console the TapeA/BJob End time I believe is accurate (20:06 and 20:09 accordingly because we have got a 1 drive autoloader, a bit delay for 2 jobs does make sense to me).

Veeam One Job duration threshold is set to 180mins and 480mins, pretty much default settings.

Alarm:Max allowed job duration
Time:9/17/2015 8:03:11 PM
Details:
Job "TapeA" duration has exceeded the configured backup window (480 min).
Job "TapeB" duration has exceeded the configured backup window (480 min).
Job "TapeA" duration has exceeded the configured backup window (180 min).
Job "TapeB" duration has exceeded the configured backup window (180 min).
Is it working as intended so that I need to tune the alarm to 24Hours+180mins and 24hours+480mins to stop this?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape job duration has exceed the configured backup windo

Post by veremin »

We'll try to reproduced the described behaviour; I'll post back once we have more information. Thanks.
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Thanks, will look forward to your findings.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

A backup to tape job with "As new files appear" type of scheduled starts as soon as you setup that type of schedule. The waiting interval resets, and starts a new once a backup to tape job has archived something to tape. So, it's expected that actual job duration is close to 24 hours in your case. And you should tweak the corresponding alarms in accordance, since Veeam ONE takes this information directly from a backup server. Thanks.
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Thanks, will tweak the Veeam ONE threshold.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Kindly, let us know whether tweaking thresholds would allow you to achieve what you're after. Also, please, monitor the job report and notify us if it keeps showing wrong end time. Thanks.