Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Moving B&R 8.0 to new server with EM

Post by homerjnick »

Moving B&R 8.0 to a new server seems very straight forward based on KB1889.

Backup your config...install B&R onto new server...patch...restore config....with the actual data on the same drive letter.

The one question I can't seem to find an answer to is does the built in backup configuration also handle Enterprise Manager? So when I restore the Backup Configuration on my new server (that also has EM installed like the old server) does the restore take care of EM or do I need to manually do something else like backup the Reporting database from the old server and manually restore to new server?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Moving B&R 8.0 to new server with EM

Post by foggy »

Nick, you would need to move Enterprise Manager SQL database separately (similar to the Performing migration if Configuration Backup is not available section of the mentioned KB), it is not included within Veeam B&R configuration backup.
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Doesn't work...when I restore the EM DB and then restore the Backup Config from B&R and it goes through its checks it reports the EM service cannot start and I cannot start it manually.

When I use the DBConfig tool I get an error advising "unable to use VeeamReporting database because it was not created with current version of Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager"

Any suggestions or should I log a call?

The Current version and Fill version numbers in the "Version" table in the EM database match what is on the old server.
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Could probably do with an order of what to do....

At what point on the new server do you restore the EM DB? Before the restore of Backup Configuration or after? Prior to installing EM or after?

This really needs documented, I can't be the only person who wants to move B&R that also runs EM to a new server? B&R works fine on the new server, very simple with the Backup Configuration but where in the process do you restore the EM DB?

When I restore the EMDB and run the DBConfig utility it complains that the database is in use and it is complaining about the old location on the old server! Which I presume it will be picking up from the restored DB?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'd assume you should first install EM on the new server with the default DB instance and then attach the database from backup, similar to Veeam B&R itself. Then proceed with Veeam B&R. You can ask support for assistance with the procedure.
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Ok...what about my VBRCatalog....do I need to move that?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, in order to keep index data.
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Still doesn't work...restoring the EM DB from backup via SQL and then repointing it simply doesn't work because it reports "Unable to use Database because it was not created with the current version of Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager" which is true...Case ID 01066888.

Using KB1946 to run some SQL against my EMDB to lower the version the DB Config tool then allows me to repoint the DB fine but the EM service fails to start.

I'm finding quite funny that a simple procedure as moving Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager is not documented anywhere and support advise "it is the same procedure as B&R"....

It it hell...with B&R Backup Configuration works a treat...moving EM's SQL DB and then repointing it is failing.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Is the reason for the version difference - different patch level between old and new server?
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

foggy wrote:Is the reason for the version difference - different patch level between old and new server?
Nope...same levels of patch on both servers...the error is true though, it was not created on the same version as the EM DB was created in v7...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ah, from the case notes I can see that the DB was created under v7. Ok, please continue addressing this with the engineer.