Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
manuelwall
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Manuel

running app-aware and image backup in the same job possible?

Post by manuelwall »

Hello,

i have a (i think) very simple question:
Is it possible to run app-aware backups with windows-credentials (SQL-Server, log truncating) and normal image backups in the same job without getting error messages?
I have a customer that has some servers with SQL-Server and some VMs that need just image backup. Additionally, some of the "just image backup" VMs are powered off sometimes. I want to handle that customer in one job.

Now, if i run the job with credentials, the powered-off VMs produce errors ("cannot connect to the hosts administrative share") and are not getting backed up at all. I would like to see a fallback to image backup there.

I have seen that i can specifiy the credentials on a per-vm-level, but i can not unset the credential for some VMs, as there has to be a default user for the resource pool, on which the backup job is based.

So i guess a way to achieve what i am looking for would be specifying the single VMs as backup sources and specifiy credentials for every VM. But that comes with the downside that new customer-VMs are not automatically added to the backup job. That is a feature i would really like to retain.

I hope you can tell me if i am digging for something thats not there or if there is a solution for my "problem".

Thanks in advance,
Manuel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: running app-aware and image backup in the same job possi

Post by veremin »

Go to Guest Processing -> Applications -> select a container object -> Edit -> Select "Try application processing, but ignore failures". In that case, job wouldn't stop, if application aware logic fails on some VMs. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: running app-aware and image backup in the same job possi

Post by Vitaliy S. »

manuelwall wrote:So i guess a way to achieve what i am looking for would be specifying the single VMs as backup sources and specifiy credentials for every VM. But that comes with the downside that new customer-VMs are not automatically added to the backup job. That is a feature i would really like to retain.
If you add VM containers to the backup job, all new VMs will be automatically backed up with the default credentials. If you need to override this setting, please follow Vladimir's advice.