Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SherburnHigh-uk
Lurker
Liked: never

Feature Request - A quicker way to restore guest files

Post by SherburnHigh-uk »

We have been using Veeam Backup on our HyperV setup for about a year now and we were wondering if veeam could improve the restore process. Before using VEEAM, we used to have Backup Exec (infact we still have it) and the restore process was a lot easier and quicker to use than VEEAMs.

For example:
Restoring a file took a matter of minutes but on VEEAM we are looking at about 10 mins to restore a file.
Restore a file(s) in backup exec used to work like this:
- Click the restore button and up popped the Restore Job Properties where we could: (a) browse each server and its backup job (b) browse the job via its media and drill down to the location of the file(s)/folder(s).
This made restoring and comparing backup files an easy process without having to load and wait for each backup media to be loaded.

I think in VEEAM, this would be under Restore > Guest Files (windows) > File Level Restore - Select Virtual Machine > Restore Point. Its a shame we cannot look into each restore point without having to wait for the resort point to load as this is what is causing the delays - if that makes sense.

Would this be something that VEEAM could develop. I'm sure it would not only help me but help anyone else who needs to compare backup files.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - A quicker way to restore guest files

Post by foggy »

Have you considered using browsing and searching for guest OS files in all VM backups available in Enterprise Manager for all indexed backups?