Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Moving Endpoint Backup to new Repository

Post by homerjnick »

I tested Veeam Endpoint integration with our physical file server into our Veeam B&R 8.0 environment by backing up to a test repository within Veeam B&R.

This test lasted a few weeks and was successful. I therefore copied the backup data from the test repository to our live one, rescanned the live respository and reconfigured the endpoint job on the physical server to use the live respository instead of the test one.

The job ran fine that night as an incremental.

So all is good, I therefore go to remove the test respository from our Veeam B&R infrastructure and I get a warning that a backup will be deleted...the backup of our physical server.

Am I good to remove my test repository without affecting the endpoint backup? I'm assuming the job will get deleted and then recreated tonight when it runs?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Moving Endpoint Backup to new Repository

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If you just reconfigured your endpoint job to use live VBR repo instead of test one then it will continue the chain that you've copied to your live repo. In such case test repo deletion will not affect your live repo as those are two separate folders.

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Indeed, you can move the existing backup files to newly created repository and reconfigure the endpoint’s backup job to use the said repository. However, do not forget to set the permissions for Endpoint job correctly and Rescan the new repository once all set (it will point endpoint job to the moved files). Thanks.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

I did all that but was confused by the message that the backup job was going to get deleted...I then spotted a failed previous test backup under Imported Disks with the same name that was using the repo I was removing and that threw me, once I sorted that I could remove the repo....my endpoint backup job ran successfully as well.

My last question is unrelated to this but I have another physical server running Hyper-V that runs a single VM...are there any issues using Endpoint to backup a Server 2012 Hyper-V server that runs a VM?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Nick,
No issues - basic configuration should work, but better test yourself. Additionally, keep in mind that csv backup is not supported.