Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Sandbox/Virtual Lab environment

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

Hi there

We are looking at getting the enterprise edition of Veeam for the additional features such as the Virtual Lab and the sandbox features. We want to be able to bring up our exchange backup with a domain controller to test the backups and that mail is all okay.

Now I follow the principal of the licencing and cores etc. Our current set up is that at our Head Office we create the normal Veeam backups, but we copy these Veeam backups off site to our DR location. We can then import the backup into Veeam at DR and then start it if necessary. We also replicate some as well to this location.

My question is this, do we need to have all of the Cores licenced at Head Office in order to use the Sandbox features, or can we just licence the cores at our DR site, import the Veeam backups here and then use the facilities of the Sandbox and Virtual Lab, or can these features only be used on the server where the original backup is performed?

Many thanks

Kevin
kevin
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Sandbox/Virtual Lab environment

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Kevin,
You need to license Hypervisors` hosts where source VMs reside. Proxies or repositories do not need a license.
So you need to have your production hosts licensed, but you don`t need to have one for DR hosts (if you are not going to backup VMs residing there).
Please read the licensing FAQ to get more info.
Thanks!
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

Many thanks for that, that makes sense!
Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Kevin.
Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking.
Here is also a general licensing FAQ just in case.
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

I follow what you are saying. We can sandbox at our Head Office and we would licence for it here. No problem.

My second question is this, we want to test the sandbox facility at our DR site but on guests running at our Head Office, i.e. we take a backup and relocate this to our DR and import and recover it, is that a possibility?

I know we can recover guests using Veeam to our DR site by importing the backup, but from what you say, in order to do this Sandbox at our DR site I am not sure how I would go about it?

Could we simply, at our DR site

Recover a Veeam backup of Exchange into the DR site.
Recover a domain controller.
There will be no backups of these servers at DR, so we would have to create them from these recovered guests?
Create the virtual lab/sandbox from these new backups?

The reason why I ask is that I need to work out which site needs to be licenced and the cost associated with it.

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please review this thread discussing SureBackup from remote repository. As to the license, you do not need to specifically license hosts used for SureBackup jobs, only hosts that are source for backup/replication jobs need to be licensed.