Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

CBT error

Post by Daveyd »

I have been backing up a particular VM for some time now using CBT in Veeam. Last night while the VM was powered off, I did a storage vmotion to another LUN in another SAN. My Veeam backup ran afterwards and now says "Verifying changed block tracking... Disk "Hard disk 1" has incorrect changed block tracking configuration. Disk "Hard disk 2" has incorrect changed block tracking configuration. One or more VM disks have incorrect changed block tracking configuration. To resolve this, open VMware vSphere Client, right-click the VM, choose Edit Settings, Options tab, select General, click Configuration Parameters, and set all entries with ‘ctkEnabled’ substring to false. Veeam Backup will then automatically re-enable changed block tracking with the correct settings during the next job run. "

Would storage vmotion cause this error to happen in Veeam? That is the only think I can think of that did this. I have to schedule a down time for the VM in order to follow the instructions but that probably wont be for a few days. Will the backups of this VM work correctly if I do not make the ctkEnabled change for a few days? Any thoughts on how this happened in the first place?
Daveyd
Veteran

Re: CBT error

Post by Daveyd »

So, does Veeam now come with a wide assortment of drugs?? :lol:

Holy spamming
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, backups of this VM will still be correct - just slower than with CBT.
Not sure if it is Storage VMotion which caused this - I guess we will need to try to reproduce this...
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

Well, i never changed anything like Veeam told me to do since I could not power off the VM. However the past 2 nights backups have run and even though I have not chaned any CBT setting, I have not received the error message on the Veeam backup report. Odd.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

It could be that Storage VMotion was not complete yet when first Veeam Backup job run... that would explain it.