PowerShell script exchange
kbay
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kira

Script to determine Raw Backup size and Deduped backup size

Post by kbay »

I want to capture the following Veeam data - the raw backup size and deduped backup size for the past 7 days.
Is there a script that can provide those results?
thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Script to determine Raw Backup size and Deduped backup s

Post by veremin »

What do you mean by raw backup size? Backup already contains deduped and compressed data, as I've already pointed out in the adjacent thread. Thanks.
kbay
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kira

Post by kbay »

By "raw" I mean, non-deduped backup size, the size of the backup before it was deduped.
I'm trying to determine how much capacity Veeam backs up weekly to determine how much storage I need. We are looking at new storage possibilities (data domain) and I need to grab the weekly backup size.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If you are sizing the target storage, why worrying about the source size? Deduplication will anyway give you a lower number at the end.
Source size anyway should be grabbed from the virtualized platform, summing all used space from any VM will give you the backup original size.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

By "raw" I mean, non-deduped backup size, the size of the backup before it was deduped.
In this case you'll probably need to query job session statistics and check Read value reported there, as it shows exactly how much data was read before compression and deduplication were applied to it.

Though, I'm not sure how valuable this information would be for the said estimation, because even when target repository is deduplication storage we still recommend to leave our data reduction technologies in place.

Thanks.