Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Monitoring Veeam Endpoint backups via Veeam B&R

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi,

Long time Veeam user, new Veeam One user.

I have a load of Veeam B&R jobs that I am trying to monitor with Veeam One/reporting. I think I can get this working the way I want with some effort. But I don't see anything in Veeam One monitoring/reporting about the status of any of the Veeam Endpoint jobs that are pointed at Veeam B&R repo's. I have asked this question to support and they have said that it is not a central product so Veeam one does not have the data. But in B&R I can see the job and the status of the last job run, so the info is there, why is Veeam One not showing it?

Many thanks

Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Monitoring Veeam Endpoint backups via Veeam B&R

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback! Veeam ONE does not monitor Endpoint backup jobs, because there were no requests so far and our version 8 was released before Veeam Endpoint Backup release. Can you please tell me how would you like to see these jobs in Veeam ONE? A separate tab like we have it in VBR? Is there anything else that you would like to see in terms of support for VEB in Veeam ONE?

Thanks!
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for coming back to me!

To be honest, I would like full integration between Endpoint and B&R. At the moment you have to setup separate backup copy jobs and the other things that do not work with End Point backups. I understand things like Sure Backup potentially would be tricky to integrate, but in theory it should work because moving the VM from P2V is basically already done by backing it up with Veeam.

But I digress. The main thing is being able to report on the status of the VEB in Veeam ONE in the same way you can with B&R in Veeam ONE. Although I am struggling to get that to do what I want at the moment. I have a call scheduled with Eugene this afternoon to see what is wrong with the way I am doing it!

Thanks

Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Chris,

As to the integration between VBR and Endpoint, do you refer to a possibility to centrally manage these Endpoint jobs or something else? How do you currently distribute VEB in your infrastructure?

Yes, we have already had a quick chat with Eugene, he is eager to assist you with any issues observed when you monitor VBR infrastructure. In the next major version of Veeam ONE, there will be no such capability, based on the feedback we will decide on this FR later. Seems like you're possible looking for these capabilities?

Thanks!
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vitaliy

Sorry for the delay!

Ideally yes, but in the first instance I would like better integration for reporting etc. If you have VEB and B&R jobs pointed at a Veeam server/repository you can see the history of that job in the history tab of B&R. You use VeeamOne to report on the status of your B&R jobs, but you cannot report on the VEB jobs even though the history is in the Veeam console with the normal job history...
I would like to be able to run a single report that shows be the history and status of all of the VM's and physical servers/PC's that are backed up with B&R or VEB.

Ideally I would like full integration between B&R and VEB. So you can do the following:
Use a single backup copy job for B&R and VEB protected machines, instead of having to have separate jobs
Deploy the VEB agent and create the VEB job from the Veeam B&R console
See full job status from B&R console
Cancel job from console
See logs and results from console
etc etc

Eugene has also asked me to post about case: 01033175
The latest issue is that a VM was reported as not backed up with the RPO of 36 hours. But the VM had backed up every day with no issues.
The alarm details are:
Latest VM backup file 'HistoricalBackups' stored in VeeamRepo02-HistoricalBackups repository falls out of the configured RPO interval (last backup: 5 days)
Latest VM backup file 'HistoricalBackups' stored in VeeamRepo02-HistoricalBackups repository falls out of the configured RPO interval (last backup: 5 days)

Now, the VM it is talking about is backed up every day via a different job to a different repo. The job it is talking about is a backup copy job that runs weekly to create a GFS weekly and monthly backup. So this job wont have a backup that is current, only on a Saturday/Sunday would it be within 36 hours. However this email alert came in at 07:17 on Friday morning. Then 16 minutes later I get a resolved email for the same thing. According to Eugene this is because of the way Veeam handles the 'backup information'. It deletes the info about what backups are held, then an alert is generated because there is no backup info, then the new info is put in. I follow that, but the logic seems flawed, and this does not happen all of the time.

Thanks

Chris
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Another thing is although it shows the status of the last VEB job in B&R it does not show any other info. So I have just had a failure and a warning on two jobs. I now have to login to each of those machines to see why it failed.
The other thing I have had today which I have just raised a case for is that the failed job has many many failed entries in the history on B&R, every 10 minutes or so since it ran and failed last night. It doesn't look like it was retrying but I can't tell because there is very limited info on VEB client or on the B&R console...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ChrisGundryCEGA wrote:You use VeeamOne to report on the status of your B&R jobs, but you cannot report on the VEB jobs even though the history is in the Veeam console with the normal job history...
Yes, that's expected, as Veeam B&R does not expose this data via API, we will discuss this internally.
ChrisGundryCEGA wrote:Ideally I would like full integration between B&R and VEB. So you can do the following:
Use a single backup copy job for B&R and VEB protected machines, instead of having to have separate jobs
Deploy the VEB agent and create the VEB job from the Veeam B&R console
See full job status from B&R console
Cancel job from console
See logs and results from console
Good feature requests, thanks for that. On a side note, how many VEB installations do you have now? What type of computers do you protect?
ChrisGundryCEGA wrote: It deletes the info about what backups are held, then an alert is generated because there is no backup info, then the new info is put in. I follow that, but the logic seems flawed, and this does not happen all of the time.
To me it looks like a bug, I will double-check with the devs.
ChrisGundryCEGA wrote:Another thing is although it shows the status of the last VEB job in B&R it does not show any other info. So I have just had a failure and a warning on two jobs. I now have to login to each of those machines to see why it failed.
The other thing I have had today which I have just raised a case for is that the failed job has many many failed entries in the history on B&R, every 10 minutes or so since it ran and failed last night. It doesn't look like it was retrying but I can't tell because there is very limited info on VEB client or on the B&R console...
Yes, integration is now basic, and covers only simple scenarios, but thanks for finding enough time to post this.
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Thanks for replying so quickly Vitaliy.

We have about 5 servers and 3 PC's that are physical for various reasons and need backing up. We chose Veeam over Windows server/Windows 8 backup because we want to integrate everything together nicely.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

First of all, thanks a lot for the comprehensive feedback, Chris!
Despite VBR-VEB integration, what kind of monitoring and reporting would you like to have for VEB in VeeamONE?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I have escalated this RPO alarm issue, and our dev team will take a closer look at this. What servers do you protect? SQL Server? Exchange? Do you plan to protect corporate laptops/computers?
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

I didn't get an alert that you had replied to this topic...

Basically monitoring the results of VEB jobs from VeeamOne is the main thing, then we can monitor them all together in one place.

We backup a file server, SQL server and a few phone system servers. We also backup some wallboard machines that are used to display phone system information to people working in the call centre.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No worries. Just one more final question, how many endpoints do you have now in total or planning to protected with VEB?
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Probably about 15-20 I would say at a guess
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks! I will need this data when discussing this feature internally.
kross
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kenneth Ross

Post by kross »

Any word on when Veeam One will start monitoring VEB's or Veeam Agents? Just as other customers expected and I as I was told by support, Veeam One can consolidate email notifications setup via B&R.

We utilize B&R 9.5 for VM's and physical servers that use VEB to send our email notifications, which sends notifications for each job. Instead of deciphering these emails we would like to see one email sent by VeeamOne for jobs success and failures vs a email for each job.

At this time it appears that some of this functionality is already here in Veeam One 9.5. We can see our backup repositories for our VEB jobs, the backup copy jobs we use to move our VEB's offsite, and our B&R VM backups, but not the VEB's or the Veeam Configuration Backups.

Assuming the next release will have VEB's\Veeam Agent support, if 9.5 doesn't have it already can you all also look into adding monitoring for Veeam Backup Configurations? So far during my installation and intital look at Veeam One I noticed that there isn't any information about the Veeam Backup configuration itself.

Please advise thanks for you all! :D
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Kenneth,
We don`t share any details about next release at this stage, but Veeam ONE & Agents integration is on the top of the features list.
As for Veeam Backup configuration, could you specify your request, please? What kind of information are you missing?
Thanks!
kross
Novice

Post by kross »

Shestakov,

Thanks for following up with me. I noticed in Veeam One that I couldn't find anything related to the Veeam Backup configuration (backups for veeam itself). Ultimately I'm wondering if can we monitor and control our email notifications for the Veeam Config backups.

Thanks again,

Kenneth
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi, unfortunately, there is no option to track configuration backup. We will add such event in the next version.
By the way, there is no need to write in the same thread shuffling topics, we answer everywhere in the forums :)
kross
Novice

Post by kross »

I see, thanks!