Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Restore points to keep on disk per VM in a B2D job?

Post by cerberus »

We are using Veeam B&R 8 to backup our 3 host VMware environment, and it works amazingly good.. backing up over the FC network rocks.

I was wondering, is it possible to define the amount of restore points to keep on disk per VM instead of at the job level?

I have a backup job that backs up about 30 VMs, and we keep on disk 7 restore points, but for some VMs in that job I want to keep maybe 21 restore points (file share servers), that way we don't have to go back to tapes as often to restore anything beyond 7 days.. is this possible?

Sure I can create another job... but that is not really intuitive..

If this is not possible, is it possible to bring this up as a feature request?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restore points to keep on disk per VM in a B2D job?

Post by veremin »

I think grouping VMs in different jobs based on retention requirements or creating backup copy jobs for those VMs that require longer retention might be a bit more understandable than different retention settings for source VMs. Just think about multiple backup chains of different length present on a repository.

Moreover, as of now we don't have per-VM backup chains, so, how everything should work in terms of restore points deletion? Say, there are full backup and increments dependent on it, so, a backup server when time comes should mark blocks belonging to some backuped VMs as free? Because it would not possible to just delete a restore point due to the fact that it would contain blocks of both VMs with expired retention and VMs with valid retention.

Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Restore points to keep on disk per VM in a B2D job?

Post by dellock6 »

Also an option could be to use vsphere tags, and create different jobs with different retention based on tags. If a vm for example is then taggedy with "20 restore points" it will be processed by the corresponding backup job. All VMs in said job will have the same retention, so purging will follow the desired value.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1