Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rikH
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: RickH

Shared tape library the following be supported and work

Post by rikH »

Would the following scenario be supported and work?

Two backup servers at different sites. 1 local and one remote.
At remote site backup server has the tapeserver installed and also has tape jobs with media pools defined. Tape library is direct connect to this backup server.
At local site backup server has tape jobs and separate media pools created and is using the tape library at the remote site. So in effect the tape library is being shared. One server using the direct connect and the other addressing the tape server.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Shared tape library the following be supported and work

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Richard,
No, that’s not going to work – the library is going to be locked by first backup server completely, leaving another without any access to the library. The only workaround is to use tape library’s native partition logic, of course if its supported.
rikH
Service Provider

Post by rikH »

Hi Dima,
thanks, there is only one drive so it's not going to work. I was asked to check an existing installation that is have problems and I observed the tape drive inventory's don't match and I see a no entry symbol on the one tape drive which I took to being a lock on the device. All the documentation I checked I don't see a tape library being shared so I suspected it probably isn't supported so you have confirmed my suspicion. Can you confirm the no entry symbol as representing the lock? or does it mean something else?
thanks
Regards Richard
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Richard,
If we are talking about the installation from your original post that should not work: the drive and the changer should be locked by only one instance of the VBR.
rikH
Service Provider

Post by rikH »

Hi Dima,
thanks. We have now removed the 2nd B&R instance and things are looking more normal now. I didn't think it was right but just wanted confirmation.
Regards Richard
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Glad you nailed it. If any questions arise - don’t hesitate asking.