Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AquaterraEnergy
Lurker
Liked: never

PST backups, when is the base image refreshed

Post by AquaterraEnergy »

Hi

I am hoping to use Veeam Endpoint to backup PST files for users in our organisation. I have setup the process so it backups the file once a week and I want it to keep 1 copy.

It has been running a number of weeks and in the backup directory I can see there are two files. There is the vbk which is the initial full backup and then the vib as the incremental file.

I'm trying to get my head around the relationship of these files, and the process what is happening. Each week is the incremental simply adding any changes that has occurred since the last backup into the incremental file so this file will continue to grow or is it adding the last incremental changes to the full backup and then the incremental is the changes between the last incremental and now.

In either case is there any way to set it so it will just append any changes to the base image. I only require 1 copy of the files which would be the most up to date version of the PST files, don't need a version history.

Thanks
Dom
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: PST backups, when is the base image refreshed

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dom,

Since the backup mode is forever incremental: one file is a full backup (.vbk) and another is an incremental backup file (.vib). For more details, kindly, check this blog post, where backup files are explained.