Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dnrc
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Caine

Re: Backup DIRECT to Cloud Connect - Cloud Repository

Post by dnrc »

I am eagerly awaiting this feature as well.

I currently have a co-lo in a datacentre and am running a cloudconnect server for some of our bigger customers (we do outsourced it support for smb's) to offsite their current veeam backups.

Having direct to cloudconnect functionality would allow us to easily give lots of our customers offsite imaging. It would also help with non-virtual servers and mobile workers.

I would like to go straight for full blown veeam but our customers don't always have the equipment/money to do so, but from my end i want them to all have a reliable offsite backup.

It would also provide a foot in the door if you like to upsell the bigger products for their servers at a later date.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Same question to you as well Daniel - are you thinking direct to Cloud Connect, or backup-than-copy approach with local target for fast recoveries, and Cloud Connect target for when all is lost?
jweave
Influencer

Post by jweave »

Definitely backup directly to Cloud Connect for me!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Would a landing zone containing the latest restore point be acceptable on the protected endpoint? This would allow us to deliver much more robust solution overall, and (potentially) leverage some WAN acceleration pieces we have in B&R. And then again, will give your users fast local recovery from the latest restore point. What are your thoughts on that?
futureweb
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by futureweb »

In my opinion, both possibilities would be good. As, what if the customer doesn't connect the external hdd/USB or forgets about it, This would mean no backup at all. Other solution would be a warning - your backups are old, connect your backup drive. Which definitly would be good for many that tend to forget about backups, but then they would need to wait until everything is on the cloud aswell. So I see quite some easy errors on customer side can happen.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually, I was thinking internal drive as a landing zone... there will be no need to connect any external backup storage. While storing backup on a local hard drive of protected endpoint is not something we recommend today for obvious reasons - with a copy of your backup in the cloud, you are still fully protected.
dnrc
Influencer

Post by dnrc »

both would be nice, certainly for servers.

however mainly I would want straight to cloud as that would allow simple file level backup for mobile people.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Daniel,

What if there is no connection by the time backup job starts - you still need some sort of “local cache”, right?
dnrc
Influencer

Post by dnrc »

not necessarily, could it not just skip the backup until it does have connectivity?

as i said, for physical servers a full local backup + cloudconnect would be great.

however for general users it would be better not to "have to have" an external drive or whatever, especially on laptops.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sounds good, we will probably make local cache optional then. Thanks for your time and feedback!
tsukraw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tucker Sukraw

Post by tsukraw »

+1 for me on this topic.
We currently are managing two different backup solutions for our customers.
All our customers who have Veeam B&R are using our cloud connect.

We do have a large number of small customers who do not have a virtual server setup... Yet....

So in that case we are having to use another solution to get there data backed up to our cloud.

I know there has been a couple ideas thrown around out there of direct to Cloud Connect or have a local backup first.

For use we would see great value in both directions but right out the gate the local backup would be amazing step forward.
The solutions that would fit 80% of our cases.
Small Office, 3-5PCs no server.
Local Network NAS for backups.
Computers running veeam endpoint targeting the NAS, all standalone jobs.
Once the local backup completes, Veeam endpoint kicks off a copy job to the cloud.

What would really be the cats meow is if you could tie this into upcoming "Veeam Managed Backup Portal" where a customer could self service provision more endpoints to backup to there cloud connect account.
Tucker Sukraw
Network Architect
West Central Technology
dnrc
Influencer

Post by dnrc »

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but.. I have just upgraded my cloudconnect server to veeam v9 and thought what the hell, I would give this another try.

It now appears to be working, I am currently running a image backup of my desktop PC straight to cloudconnect.Was this implemented by design or is it simply fluke?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

running a image backup of my desktop PC straight to cloudconnect.
Can you specify how your VEB job is configured? Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

I am using a samsung fit 128GB usb-stick (VERY SMALL USB-STICK) which i connect to all our customers laptop. They usually have a mouse receiver which is the same size anyway.. as long as there is at least 3 usb-ports on the computer this is a nice approach.
We are running veeam endpoint to this and it runs fast and good. This could benefit as the local cachie for a another job that kan kick in as long there is internet connectivity and not using more than f.ex 25% of the bandwith to a cloud repository.

For home users we are actually using a vpn that kicks in before the Veeam Endpoint and they target the customers own backup and replication server. works great but not so nice out-of-the-box experience for the users though.
dnrc
Influencer

Post by dnrc »

Dima P. wrote:Can you specify how your VEB job is configured?
I just chose Veeam B+R Repository and went through the rest of the wizard as normal. Put in my CloudConnect server details and it worked first time.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Daniel,
So you are backing up to the VBR with the Cloud Connect license while the VBR server IP address is publicly available, right? Are you using the repository encryption?

Frank,
Thanks - makes sense.
dnrc
Influencer

Post by dnrc »

backing up to VBR / Cloudconnect, it's Natted and using an A record

not using repository encryption
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

[MERGED] Veeam endpoint and cloud repository

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone, I want to throw out a quick question about the integration between Endpoint and Cloud Connect. So... suppose I've taken a physical machine backup with Veeam B&R and the Endpoint agent installed into the physical machine: is it possible to schedule a copy job and send the backup on a cloud repository? Are there any limitations between regular virtual machine backup and an endpoint physical machine backup (so for example is it possible to do a granular application restore)?
Thank you very much
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Luca82,

Yes, it’s possible to backup to cloud connect – see the suggested workaround, although such approach is not supported.

No limitations: ‘file level recovery’, ‘application item recovery’ and ‘export as virtual disks’ are supported for VEB backups. Tape jobs and backup copy jobs can work in conjunction with VEB backup as well.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Post by Luca82 »

Therefore...even if veeam doesn't want to say that... and even if it is only a free support.... veeam is also a physical backup solution ;)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Basically, you are the one to decide how to use VEB :wink:
TDMorIP
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Lou Voigt

Post by TDMorIP »

i see some of you say that you can connect endpoint straight to cloud or repository located offsite without VPN bypassing local BR. i have been wrestling this for the last few days. Ive tried both to a dedicated server and to a cloud server as well. Ive made the DNS changes but no matter what when going straight to basic repo it errors out and is trying to go to the inside IP. Ive even tried NATing the private IP to go out as the public. pointing it to cloud server shows spinning looking for repo but never finds anything. anyone who has done this if you could please share i would appreciate it. or maybe the Veeam staff can share a date when it will do this natively? we would love to pay for this if it works!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lou,

The suggested approach is currently the following, but we do plan to add this capability down the road:
Gostev wrote:It is just that for our existing customer base, it makes perfect sense to go to B&R repository first for local backup, then Backup Copy to cloud. This is why we focus on this use case first for v1.
Thanks!
Ultra_Cool
Expert
Liked: 3 times

[MREGED] Endpoint backup and CloudConnect

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hello,

Is it possible to install endpoint backup on laptop and use cloud connect server in another company to save backup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can achieve that via pointing Veeam Endpoint Backup job to regular backup repository and then use backup copy jobs to send these backups to the cloud repository. Thanks!
Ultra_Cool
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Thank you Vitaliy,
One more question. We have many laptops and we want to save backups on Veeam server. There is one company who has Veeam 8.0 standard license. Is it possible to save backups on their backup server and even if that server is in workgroup or in another domain?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it should be possible, given that you configure these settings for the backup repository properly.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

BTW If you have troubles with setting permissions for another subnet you may enable ‘allow all’ access – that sure work.
IronLogix
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Smith

Post by IronLogix »

I am not able to get this to work. I have:
- Added the registry entry to increase the timeout
- allowed all access to the cloud repository

The port is open and Server based Veeam B&R copy jobs are seeing the cloud repository and backing up to it - no issues.

Just cant seem to get Endpoint to backup directly to the cloud repository at all. This is pretty important as we have clients with a complete mobile workforce - no on-site repository/servers to use. I would rather use veeam than another product so if we can get this added as a future enhancement, it would be huge for us. Make it a paid feature or expanded license - I'd be up for that.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Michael, right now you can only backup to a regular backup repository and then use backup copy jobs to send this data to the cloud repository.