Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
babbtong
Influencer
Liked: never

Alarm for vm creation/deletion?

Post by babbtong »

Hello, I have just deployed VEEAM ONE in our environment, and I was trying to create an alarm that would send an email whenever a VM is created/cloned from a template, or deleted. I tried creating an alarm with the event name VmCreatedEvent and VmClonedEvent, but the cloned event doesn't trigger. For the deleted VM, I am using the event name VmRemovedEvent, but that doesn't trigger. The severity is Information. Is there a list somewhere where I can see the event names so I know I have the correct one? Does anybody know why those alarms aren't being triggered?

The VmCreatedEvent does get triggered, but I do not get an email. I only get an email when I deleted the VM. Then I get a "reset/resolved" email for this alarm. I have the Actions set to send email notification with any state condition. I understand that emails get sent upon status change, but shouldn't I get an email when the alarm is first triggered as well? Or is it because it's Information, and that state does not trigger an email to get sent? If so, is it possible to configure this?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Alarm for vm creation/deletion?

Post by Shestakov »

Looks like you choose correct event names for the alarms. The whole list of events can be found in the VMware vSphere 5.1 Documentation.
babbtong wrote: I tried creating an alarm with the event name VmCreatedEvent and VmClonedEvent, but the cloned event doesn't trigger.
Have you checked if the event is shown in Tasks&Events of Veeam ONE Monitor?

Possible reasons why the alarm is not triggered are having "Event text" filed filled incorrectly(just keep it empty), wrong trigger after number (for you it should be 0) and assignment.
Please check the fields. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to create an alarm like this, I would recommend cloning/deleting any tests VMs and then use the event name triggered and displayed in Task and Events tab in Veeam ONE Monitor Client.

P.S. btw, you need to look for events on the parent node of the VM, be it host, cluster or vCenter Server.
babbtong
Influencer

Post by babbtong »

Thanks to both of you! I did base the event names on what I saw in the Tasks and Events. Taking Shestakov's advice, I made the Event text blank, and the VMCloned alarm worked, as well as the email alert. However, the VmRemovedEvent still doesn't work. It's interesting to note that none of the alarms show up in the Alarms panel on the Infrastructure view. I have the assignment set as the Virtual Infrastructure, do I need to make it more specific?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You don`t need to make it more specific if you want to track all Removes/Clones happenning in the infrastructure.
babbtong wrote:However, the VmRemovedEvent still doesn't work.
Do you see the event in Veeam ONE Tasks&Events?
I would also try to change the trigger event name in working VMCloned alarm to VmRemovedEvent in troubleshooting purposes.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

babbtong wrote:It's interesting to note that none of the alarms show up in the Alarms panel on the Infrastructure view
Do you mean that alarms are not displayed at all even predefined? This should be investigated by our support team.

If you assign this alarm on the vCenter Server, does it work?
babbtong
Influencer

Post by babbtong »

Shestakov wrote: Do you see the event in Veeam ONE Tasks&Events?
I would also try to change the trigger event name in working VMCloned alarm to VmRemovedEvent in troubleshooting purposes.
Thanks!

I tried that, still didn't trigger. I added it to the existing VMCreate event.

I see it under Tasks&Events, but not Alarms. Quick question, when the VM is deleted, are all alarms pertaining to it also removed? Because I tried cloning a VM, and I got the alarm and saw that it was in the Alarms tab, but when I deleted the VM the creation alarm seems to have disappeared
Vitaliy S. wrote: Do you mean that alarms are not displayed at all even predefined? This should be investigated by our support team.

If you assign this alarm on the vCenter Server, does it work?
Some of them show up, just not the VmRemovedEvent alarm. Tried assigning to the vCenter Server, but no difference.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

babbtong wrote:Quick question, when the VM is deleted, are all alarms pertaining to it also removed?
Alarms should not be deleted automatically. You will have the alarm with empty assignment.
babbtong wrote:I tried that, still didn't trigger. I added it to the existing VMCreate event.
I see it under Tasks&Events, but not Alarms.
I would suggest to contact Veeam technical support to investigate the issue. Probably some fields or assignment are filled incorrectly. Thanks!
babbtong
Influencer

Post by babbtong »

Hi, just to reopen this topic, I am still running into this issue. Before I contact Veeam technical support, I was wondering if anybody knew why sometimes, when the VmCreatedEvent alarm is triggered, after that VM is deleted the alarm will disappear and I'll get an email telling me that the state changed from Information to Reset/resolved. The alarm also disappears from the Alarms in Veeam One Monitoring. I thought alarms should stay? The alarm is triggered by looking for the VmCreatedEvent event. I'm also still not sure why it sees that one, but it completely ignores VmRemovedEvent, although that event IS seen in the Veeam One Tasks&Events.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
I haven`t got if you contacted Veeam support team after all. Did you? If yes, please provide the support case #.

As we discussed earlier, the alarm should not be deleted automatically if the VM is deleted. I`ll double-check it in my lab one more time.
And all events you see in Veeam ONE Monitor under "Tasks and Events" tab should be trigger their alarms. Wrong alarm setting can be the problem of that. Check Rules, Assignment, Suppress tabs.
There should be only one rule based on the event, nothing in the event text field, correct alarm assignment and no suppressions.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

babbtong wrote:when the VmCreatedEvent alarm is triggered, after that VM is deleted the alarm will disappear and I'll get an email telling me that the state changed from Information to Reset/resolved. The alarm also disappears from the Alarms in Veeam One Monitoring. I thought alarms should stay?
Specification on this, once you delete a VM which was an assigned object for an alarm, the Alarm itself, the one you see in the "Alarm Management" stays, but the records of it being triggered, which you see in the Infrastructure View > Alarms will disappear.
Thanks!
babbtong
Influencer

Post by babbtong »

Thanks for this clarification, that explains why it disappears. I've opened a case, low priority, case # 01079066
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Glad that it`s clear now. Regarding the VmCreatedEvent event, I would check the alarm settings, as described above.
adrianIDC
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Post by adrianIDC » 1 person likes this post

babbtong wrote:Hello, I have just deployed VEEAM ONE in our environment, and I was trying to create an alarm that would send an email whenever a VM is created/cloned from a template, or deleted. I tried creating an alarm with the event name VmCreatedEvent and VmClonedEvent, but the cloned event doesn't trigger. For the deleted VM, I am using the event name VmRemovedEvent, but that doesn't trigger. The severity is Information. Is there a list somewhere where I can see the event names so I know I have the correct one? Does anybody know why those alarms aren't being triggered?

The VmCreatedEvent does get triggered, but I do not get an email. I only get an email when I deleted the VM. Then I get a "reset/resolved" email for this alarm. I have the Actions set to send email notification with any state condition. I understand that emails get sent upon status change, but shouldn't I get an email when the alarm is first triggered as well? Or is it because it's Information, and that state does not trigger an email to get sent? If so, is it possible to configure this?
Vitaliy S. wrote:If you want to create an alarm like this, I would recommend cloning/deleting any tests VMs and then use the event name triggered and displayed in Task and Events tab in Veeam ONE Monitor Client.

P.S. btw, you need to look for events on the parent node of the VM, be it host, cluster or vCenter Server.
The MV alarm creation (using hyper - v ) is:

Create VM: 13002 Microsoft -Windows- Hyper - V - VMMS

Delete VM: 13003 Microsoft -Windows- Hyper - V - VMMS
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the participation, Adrian!
Much appreciated
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

Hi,

Wanting to set this up and have followed the post.
We have latest Veeam One installed and the latest patch. We are running Vsphere 5.5.

The issue I am having is the "VmRemovedEvent" appears to be triggered for more than just deleting VMs. If a VM is storage migrated it appears to fire the event.

Is there any other way to track the removal of VMs?
Many thanks

Iain Green
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Iain,
In accordance with VMware`s event description "VmRemovedEvent" event records a virtual machine removed from VirtualCenter management.
Could you specify kind of removal you want to track?
Here is a list of all VM events.
Thanks!
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

Hi Shestakov,

When a VM deleted (as in we have decommisioned it and deleted it from disk).
Also when a new VM is deployed from a template.
Many thanks

Iain Green
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

VmBeingDeployedEvent event records a virtual machine being deployed from a template.
As for "VmRemovedEvent" I would suggest to track the event for the first time, i.e. once you delete VM, check (or just make sure) which event is generated and use it as a trigger for the alarm.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It is not exactly what you're asking for, but maybe this report can come in handy > VMs Growth (it can track deleted and created VMs). Just schedule this report on daily basis and review the activity for the whole day without receiving lots of alarms (emails) during the day.