Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
swizzle
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Mott

Windows 2008 R2 iscsi initiator

Post by swizzle »

Hi,

Is Veeam Backup & Replication 4.11 x64 bit edition running on Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition with built in iSCSI initiator to connect to SAN that stores the virtual machine files a supported configuration?

I see a reference in the release notes that suggest it may not be. My lab tests crash during backup using SAN mode (even in network failover).

Would prefer not to stand this up on a VM, physical hardware for backup servers what we want to do. What are my options? Hardware HBA?

Suggestions?
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Re: Windows 2008 R2 iscsi initiator

Post by joergr »

i am using iscsi software initiator without any problems. os is win2008 x64.
regi
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Regi Pradeeswaran

Post by regi »

No problem with my Win 2008 R2 x64 iscsi initiator
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Peter, reference in the release notes only relates to using Software iSCSI Initiator in a virtual machine, and with older Windows versions. It is indeed very specific problem to this specific configuration (it was very well researched on our end back when we first saw it last year). However, your server is physical, just because of this this issue could not exist there.

I would try clean Windows install (might be issue to some 3rd party products on the same server). If this does not help, I would suspect that the issue might be specific to the shared storage you are using.

Hardware HBA is always a good thing for performance! ;)