Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Win 7 and U3 updates

Post by jamerson »

hi guys,
somehow after applied the patch i can't backup a Win7 Pro VM machine,
the error i am getting is the next :
Processing VM1 Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\.\PhysicalDrive2]. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\.\PhysicalDrive2]. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [3234]. Failed to download disk.

from Veeam server i can access the VM1 and it admin$
i've followed those steps but no vail http://www.veeam.com/kb1197

please advise how to fix this.

thank you
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Re: Win 7 and U3 updates

Post by btmaus »

Working fine for me backing up Windows 7 Enterprise. Sounds like your issue is with a disk (hardware problem).
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

btmaus wrote:Working fine for me backing up Windows 7 Enterprise. Sounds like your issue is with a disk (hardware problem).
i have two VM's on the same HDD,
2008R2 working fine but Win 7 is the issue
if it hardware issue the 2008r2 wouldn't be backed up would it ?
thank you
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

The CRC error pretty much indicates that Veeam is unable to read some data block from the underlying disk. The fact that it says [\\.\PhysicalDrive2] makes me think that this is a disk hotadded to the proxy VM although I guess it could also be Direct SAN. However, this is almost always indicative of an underlying hard disk error. I'd take a look in the Windows even logs and see if you can find and event that corresponds to this failure. It might not fail on the 2008R2 system simply because none of those blocks are bad yet.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

i've created another VM on the same data store and i was able to back it up without any issues.
this VM is Win 8.1 Pro
i don't think is a hardware issue .
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

A different VM would use different blocks on the underlying storage. Just because one block is unable to be retrieved doesn't mean that any other block is impacted. While I can't be sure it is a hardware problem, the error you are getting is not a Veeam error, it is a read error being returned by the OS. Can you try doing something like a storage vMotion or perhaps a clone of the VM in VMware? Or perhaps forcing NBD mode on your proxy for one cycle to see if the error changes. It's also possible the error could be something on the repository since I don't have enough information to determine what \\.\PhysicalDrive2 refers to, the above was just a guess.

Do you have a support case?
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

its strange with the physicaldrive error .
created another vm and its backup fine.
had to delete the old one.