Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pageda
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Page

Veeam, VPLEX and vMSC

Post by pageda »

From reading other posts, I can infer that Veeam works with VPLEX, but I'm looking for both confirmation and any reccommendations/best practices.

We're planning a vSphere 6, 3host per site, stretched cluster across two geographically separate datacenters with 10Gb interconnect, stretched layer 2 network. VPLEX will be in front of VNX arrays at both sites to provide active/active data. Total storage is currently small (about 4TB). I was planning on having a Veeam management server or proxy in each location?

I'm open to comments :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Veeam, VPLEX and vMSC

Post by Gostev »

Veeam is completely storage agnostic, and will work with any storage supported by vSphere.

Given good connectivity in place, normally I would recommend a single Veeam backup server in HQ, and a backup proxy in each site. But, considering such a small size of infrastructure, you can as well use just a single proxy.

Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I can confirm as I'm working these days with a customer that vplex is seen just like a FC storage, so you can run directsan backups against it with no issue.
I also suggest you deeply a second proxy at secondary site so when lun is served from that location the proxy doesn't have to cross the wan to grab data, even if the repository will still be likely at one location (unless some clustering is also planned for repositories)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
pageda
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Page

Post by pageda »

Gentlemen, thank you both. I've been a veeam 'evangelist' for years and your quick, verified, expert opinions directly from company reps to consumers/users is invaluable and appreciated. Thanks to you both and the entire Veeam team.
tinto1970
Veeam Legend
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

Post by tinto1970 »

good day, sorry to re open this topic after "some" weeks ;-)

I'm working on a customer infrastructure using VPLEX and experiencing this issue:

when the veeam proxy reads data in SAN mode with no storage integration, the speed is sometimes good (i.e. 50 MB/s per process, with many in parallel) but sometimes so slooooowww (I mean less than 500 KB/s).
Apparently it happens randomly, but this different speed is often observed for some vmdk inside the same VM (disk 1 is read fast, disk 2 pretty slow).

Any idea on what could be going wrong? Today I will try to get some logs and probabily open a SR.

Currently I have workarounded the issue forcing the proxy to work in NBD (management interfaces are on 10Gig and speed is satisfying for me: personally I would use NBD but the customer seems to prefer the direct SAN for traffic separation)
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Alessandro, opening a case is the right step with such issues - logs will tell exactly what happens during the slow processing of the affected disk.