Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MartinsLR
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MartinsLR

Multiple Backup mode at the same time.

Post by MartinsLR »

Hello! I have PC with four disks, 1 TB system disk, and three 4 TB data disks. I want to backup 1 TB system disk using volume level backup, and only some folders from three data disks. Is it possible?
This mean, a must choose Volume level backup and File level backup at the same time. Can I run multiple Veeam instances? How Can I backup one disk with Volume level and another disk only File level backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Multiple Backup mode at the same time.

Post by Dima P. »

Hi MartinsLR,

You can do that via File level Backup - simply select the OS check box (or the system volume) and then add some folder from other disks. Kindly, check this article for more information on backup modes: Veeam Endpoint Backup Free: Backup modes in depth. Thanks.
MartinsLR
Novice

Post by MartinsLR »

Thanks! Is this mode are fully supported when bear metal recovery is needed? I mean, full OS recovery with Veeam Endpoint Recovery ISO media.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 2 people like this post

Hi MartinsLR,

So, when you boot with the ISO media, you will be able to restore the entire system volume through that wizard. While it is technically not a full BMR (that would require ALL volumes according to the BMR definition but... ;-)) you would fully recover your OS. After that, and reboot after the recovery, you will be able to recover the specific folders that you are also protecting.

To conclude: Is it a BMR, not according to the definition but you will be doing a volume restore of your system volume and therefore get the OS back to a state as it was at the time of backup, and then you can recover whatever folder afterwards from the folders you chose on the other volumes.

Does this makes sense?

Thanks

Mike
MartinsLR
Novice

Post by MartinsLR »

Thanks, Mike! As I understand, if I have as an example PC with 250 GB OS hard disk, Windows 10, and my hard disk fail, I can put new hard disk 500 GB and restore Windows volume on it. And after that, OS will be up and running. And after that I can recover files from another disks. Correct?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Yes, that's correct! Don't forget when restoring the OS, you will see that the VEB is there again (as part of the restore :-)). And even better, the disk can be a smaller size (if the total size of the OS volume is smaller of course...) because we support volume resize (smaller) from version 1.1

Cheers

Mike