Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bkk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Glenn

Storage calculation

Post by bkk »

Hi.

Does Veeam provide a tool for calculating the size of the backup storage? And taking consideration of dedub, etc.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Storage calculation

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Glenn,

We've got such a tool. You may find this information if you click "Check Space" button while standing on backup destination target step of the configuration job wizard. It will show you Estimated Full backup size and Estimated space required (based on your retention policy). But please note that actual deduplication ratio can only be seen if you go to your backup files properties in the Veeam console (Backups->Properties).

Thanks!
bkk
Novice

Post by bkk »

Thanks for your quick response.

Sorry for the lack of info, i actually ment at the planning stage, when i want to calculate my storage requirements for the installation.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Glenn,

Veeam Backup doesn't require lots of disk space, my installation folder is about 100 MB. Actually, you can find storage requirements in our Release Notes.
I'm not sure I got it about deduplication... but all VBR features are installed by default, and you recieve all the functionality out of the box.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Don't forget about disk space required for local SQL Express install, if you are using one to host Veeam Backup database.
bkk
Novice

Post by bkk »

I was looking more like a tools for calculating the complete storage for backed up vms.
Maybe inputs like no. of vms, average vm size, number of backup generations, etc. And then calculating how many TB is approx. needed when including dedup.

/Glenn
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Backup space requirements are pretty hard to predict, as this depends on how VMs are made, from the same template or not, and how many VMs are there in the same job (dedupe can be very effective, 80% and more reduction of backup size).

Also of course this depends on many factors such as how compressible the data stored in VM is, amount of daily changes etc.

You can use the following formula for guesstimates:
Target space estimates
bkk
Novice

Post by bkk »

That was the information i was looking for. Thanks :D