Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Offsite replications and backups

Post by ashman70 »

I'd like to setup an infrastructure at one of my clients that would have replications and backups done offsite to one of their other locations each night if possible. The issue is that they are connected by a 10MB MPLS network connection. Is there a way to take a copy of multiple virtual machines offsite and have the replication and backup jobs run against these, I think its called seeding? We have a Veeam enterprise license currently I am just wondering if we would need the Enterprise plus to get the WAN acceleration in this scenario. The goal is to have the infrastructure replicated offsite so if the main site goes down users could still work and the business could still function. Am I on the right track?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Offsite replications and backups

Post by veremin »

Yes, you can put seeding functionality (run full backup locally, transfer it remote location afterwards) into use in order to avoid initial full backup over slow link.

Then, you'll need to create backup jobs and map them to the seeded data. After that, you should add replication jobs, and use the newly-created backup jobs as their source (replica from backups).

Thanks.