Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidmansfield81
Novice
Liked: never

Restore VM & keep original

Post by davidmansfield81 »

Hi,

Hopefully someone can let me know if this is possible as I haven't had much experience restoring backups.

We have a server backed up in Veeam that I want to leave running and unchanged, but at the same time I want to restore one of the oldest backups and see the restored server at the same time as the original (although I don't need it on the LAN as I don't want to upset the network).

If I use a full VM restore and select a different server & datastore than the original is this the correct way to do this and it will not interfere with the current live one? I am worried that it will have the same name.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore VM & keep original

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You will also need to rename the VM you're going to restore. On a side note, if you want to keep this VM running only for a short period of time, then I would suggest using On-Demand sandbox functionality and SureBackup jobs for this purpose. Let me know if that helps!
davidmansfield81
Novice

Thanks for that, helped greatly.

We don't have the enterprise licence so could not use Sandbox but that is defiantly now on our wish list as I have looked into the SureBackup as you described and it looks brilliant!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You could also disable the network in VM settings prior to starting it after the restore.
davidmansfield81
Novice

Thanks, I have renamed as suggested and disabled networking and now have the backup working so I can use it and haven't upset the original.