Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ArkHosp
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Email Notification "Window"?

Post by ArkHosp »

Hello Veeamers!

I'm fairly new to this application and I was searching all through the options for any way to limit the hours of the day that email notifications can be sent, and I just can't find any such feature.
Is there a way to do this?

I'm sure most of you are like me and absolutely HAVE to have email notifications on your smart phone (network outages, mail loop failures, etc.) On our previous backup software I had set it up to NOT email me between 11pm-6am (otherwise it would wake me up at 3am just to let me know "everything is working! Backup success!").

Am I simply not looking in the right spot or has this feature been overlooked by the Veeam Team? If so, is there somewhere to request features for future versions?

This seems so obvious to me that I'm a little surprised it's not a setting on the SMTP setup page. I sooooo want to get a good nights sleep, but I really don't want to just completely disable notifications on Veeam to do it.

Any advice?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Email Notification "Window"?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

You can disable notifications on successful backup job runs, but keep receiving errors and warnings. Is this what you're after?

Thank you!
ArkHosp
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by ArkHosp »

Even if I do that, some of our backups run late night/ early morning (plus there are catalog / index jobs that run seemingly randomly) so I just don't want to be woken up at all. However, daytime jobs I would like to get notifications (both failures and successes).

Not to bring up the B-word, but backup exec had an option under notifications to set availability windows, outside of which it would not send messages.
Some days I literally get over a hundred emails from various systems and just regular old staff emails (many of which I send to folders that don't sync to my phone so they don't spring me up at 2am) but I hate to do that for backups because I won't get failure notifications until it's too late to do anything about them.

I guess it's something Veeam either hasn't thought to add or doesn't see value in. I personally value my sleep and don't want anything (except a true network outage) to wake me up at 3am.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the feedback, as a workaround you can deploy Veeam ONE (part of Availability Suite) and schedule this report to be delivered every morning so that you can review latest job states with your morning coffee. As to blocking email notifications during certain time periods (for example, during night time like in your case), then it should be possible to do via these settings as well. Hope this helps!