Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chamdor
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Windows FLR for VMs in untrusted domains

Post by chamdor »

Hi,

A customer has a couple VMs that are part of another domain, there is no trust relationship. How does File Level Recovery work with these Windows VMS, since the permissions Veeam has do not correlate to that domain? Any suggested workaround?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Windows FLR for VMs in untrusted domains

Post by Gostev »

Hello, could you please clarify the issue, I am not sure I understand. FLR is done directly from backup files to which Veeam has full access rights - I don't see any security issues even theoretically.
chamdor
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by chamdor »

You can't restore an individual file if you wouldn't have rights to that file ( is that right? ). User is reporting getting permission problems with FLR for VMs that are in an untrusted domain, I haven't tested this scenario yet.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

If I had this issue I'd probably attempt to perform the restore with the FLR appliance. Since the FLR appliance uses a Linux virtual machine to mount the backup images it completely ignores NTFS permissions.

I would also think that if you added the "Backup Operator" role to the user attempting to perform the restore that it would work but I haven't tested that.