Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wobs
Novice
Liked: never

Slow performance on EVA 6000

Post by wobs »

We recently installed Veeam on our backup server.

This server is directly connected to our eva by fiber.
We presented several Lun's to the server to the backup server to test several scenario's.

We are using the Vmware vStorage API in SAN mode.
Everything works fine and there are no errors, however the performance is poor.
The processing rate of a full backup from a sever located on the lun is about 11mb's.

There are no performance issues on the EVA or the specific LUN
When testing another LUN, performance is the same.

Does anyone know why the processing rate is so slow?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Slow performance on EVA 6000

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Could you tell us what is your destination target storage? Have you tried doing backups on the local drive? Also it would be interesting to know if you've checked Task Manager while the job was running to see if your Veeam Backup server does not starve on CPU. Also just to be completely sure, could you please clarify if you are using SAN with failover or just SAN mode?

Thanks!
wobs
Novice

Post by wobs »

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I've tested several locations. The primary location is an HP MSA20 which is directly attached to the backup server using a scsi cable, but I've also tested the local drive.
Netbackup uses the same destination with no performance issues.
The performance tests where conducted during the day, with no additional traffic to the lun or the backup destination.

At first the CPU usage was quite high, using optimal compression. So I tested with lower compression ratio's to relieve the CPU.
This had no impact on the performance.

We use SAN mode without failover.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

The fact that you are seeing quite high CPU usage even at 11MB/s processing speed tells me you have a very poor hardware on your Veeam Backup server. Even if you are able to increase source data retrieval speed to 40-50MB/s, obviously the server won't be able to handle processing this amount of data, because it is already starving at 5 times less throughtput... and some customers are able to achieve 90MB/s plus processing speed with 1Gb iSCSI (9 times faster).

So as a first step I recommend setting up backup server with modern hardware. Until you do this, you won't be able to see whether other tweaks help you or not, because backup performance will be limited by your server's hardware.

Next step would be to try some iSCSI optimizations in Windows (see the stickied thread about iSCSI SAN in this forum for more information). Using hardware iSCSI HBA would certainly help too.
wobs
Novice

Post by wobs »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for the reply.
It is true that the server hardware is a few years old.
But like I wrote, when using a lower encryption, the CPU usage is quite low.

Also, like I wrote, we don't use iSCSI, but fiber.