Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Matyu
Novice
Liked: never

Accidentally deleted backup file

Post by Matyu »

Hi, as in the subject I accidentally deleted one of the two file that Veeam created after a complete backup. At the moment I have only the bigger one *.vbk, I think that the other is related to the index or something like that. Is there any way to open my 110 GB file and recover my data? If I try to open it with Veeam Endpoint it give me this error: "Veeam Endopoint Backup is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup & Replication".
I am using Win10 and open a support case ID 01082595.
Thanks, bye.
Matyu
Novice

Re: Accidentally deleted backup file

Post by Matyu »

It seems that I lost the *.vbm file ...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You should be able to import this file to Veeam B&R console and then run the restore. Can you please try this procedure with Veeam Backup FREE?
Matyu
Novice

Post by Matyu »

Hi, there is not a B&R console in the free edition. I think that I have to try to import in a new installation of Veeam Backup & Replication sw and try from there ...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What do you mean there is no console in Veeam Backup FREE? You should be able to import VEB backups to Veeam Backup FREE with no issues.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Matyu,

.vbm is a metadata file that is critical to keep. I am sorry to say that but if it was deleted there is nothing we can do.
Matyu
Novice

Post by Matyu »

Thanks all but I think that there is no way to solve. I tried the Extractor utility (under Backup and Replication version), I can take partion file but no access at all ...
mlabbe
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Michel Labbé

Post by mlabbe » 2 people like this post

Dima P. wrote:.vbm is a metadata file that is critical to keep. I am sorry to say that but if it was deleted there is nothing we can do.
Ouch! If that file is so critical (and since it's so small), would it make sense to include/duplicate it inside each vbk/vib files?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

That's definitely a good idea and worth an internal discussion.
Shall1569
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sam Hall

[MERGED] Feature Request - Recreate VBM File

Post by Shall1569 »

Hi,

I have come across a scenario where I have a 90GB Full backup file using Veeam Endpoint Backup
This creates a VBK file and a VBM file

Upon uploading this to my VB&R server, and then backing up the machine again to the VB&R server, it fails with this error:

Code: Select all

Error: All instances of the storage metadata are corrupted. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{eb5acf5b-3ace-4021-a8af-3deac67b231f}]. CHMOD mask: [0]. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.
I can see that there is a way to Recreate VBM files for VB&R backup jobs, but there is not one for Veeam Endpoint Jobs

Can you please advise?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Recreate VBM File

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Sam,

There is no such functionality in VEB. Can you clarify, was the backup file corrupted during transmission? Can you start a file level recovery from the backup at the VEB’s end? Thanks.