Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kpax
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KPax

BackUp Copy

Post by kpax »

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up a QNAP for a 2nd location and I have my primary site doing a backup copy to my secondary site. I am using the WAN Accelerator feature.

My question is, in the event of a first site failure (total failure) am I able to use a Veeam B&R server located at the second site to restore VMs from the Backup Copy repository (add backup copy repository as a CIFS storage device)? Is the backup copy repository dependent at all on the primary site?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: BackUp Copy

Post by foggy »

Yes, you will be able to import backups in any other Veeam B&R installation and perform restore. Thanks.
kpax
Influencer

Post by kpax »

Thanks for the prompt reply Foggy

Is there a way I can throttle the backup copy task specifically? I would like to run it continuously but I don't want it to consume too much resources. I have a existing throttling policy reducing 6am-8pm bandwidth use to 50% but I want a separate policy targeted specifically to the back up copy even lower.

Is this possible?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Throttling is configured between specific addresses. You could set a separate (more strict) rule for particular WAN accelerator servers. However, keep in mind that all traffic between those servers will be throttled according to this rule (if they are involved in some other activity, for example also perform proxy servers role for replication).
kpax
Influencer

Post by kpax »

I have a throttle rule in place for 10.10.10.0 - 10.10.10.255 that limits bandwidth to 50%. If i set another rule that is 10.10.10.50 (Primary site Veeam) to 10.10.10.60 (Secondary site Veeam) to 25% would this only affect the traffic from the source to target and vice versa?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

If 10.10.10.50 and 10.10.10.60 were WAN accelerators then traffic for all jobs that flow through these WANs would be affected. Though normally there is no dataflow between Veeam servers so your throttling rule will make no effect.

Thank you.